HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Sharpshooter tips and tricks

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted December 16 2012 - 05:57 PM

Contributors:
Guiotine, MechPilot6666, Woobins, LG_Bongo, SamSlade, Redvan, AsianJoyKiller, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, ReachH, Azrael39', OneBullit, JujuMcGumbo, Cymatic, Talesin, Eis9_M0th, as well as LG_Bongo for the new layout :D

[This post] gives you a good starting point to mold your style around; however, you must always be smart enough to adapt and overcome different situations.
[Mechpilot6666]

1.   Role:

· Support your team from mid-to-long range.

· Do not engage opponents at frontline, splash damage mechs are better at it.

· Follow the team, but stay behind frontline fighters.

· Flank and seek out vantage points on the main battle.

· Burn down the enemies, decrease their heath and cumulative strength.

· Do not chase fleeing opponents, leave this for A-Class mechs.

2.   Shooting:

· Scope before using SABOT, precision and damage will be dramatically increased.

· Do not shoot a lot hoping to hit, only shoot when certain you will hit.

· Time your shots right after opponent’s dodge or jump.

· Do not constantly aim for the head (damage dealt is the same everywhere).

· Develop a habit to aim low, when on the move weapons have vertical offset.

3.   Mobility:

· Never stand still unless to pause briefly to align a long range shot.

· Move to another location after every shot, even if it’s just other side of the pillar.

· Hide behind cover while SABOT is in cool down.

· Put distance between you and your opponent whenever it is possible.

· Do not move in straight line, stutter step and weave.

· Save your dodge for when your opponent uses his Secondary weapon.

· Be aware of your surroundings; try to memorize them before scoping.

4.   Location:

· Change sniping locations as often as possible. Alternate between good spots.

· Relocate as soon as you get shot, it means the enemy knows where you sit.

· Look for sniping positions that are ONLY visible from the spot you are aiming at.

· Avoid spots that can be seen from multiple directions. Do not linger in open areas.

· Plan alternative escape route in advance, make sure the spot you chose has one.

· Stay hidden as much as possible, pick out of cover, survey then hide again.

5.   Close-Quarter Combat (CQC):

· Avoid CQC if possible or distance yourself. SS is less effective in CQC then at long range.

· Wait for the enemy to dodge to burn your sabot.

· Wait for the enemy to use secondary weapon to burn your dodge.

· Quick scope before using Sabot. Use Slug constantly.

· Keep track of your fuel, if it runs out you can’t dodge anymore.

· Pay attention to opponent’s guns, to figure out who you are up against.

· Hide and use cover extensively, especially during Sabot cool-down. Unlike other mechs SS deals damage in bursts not in constant flow.

· SS has no splash damage, so you can slam into your opponent and fire at point blank.

Notes on SS vs SS Duel:

· Take a shot and relocate right away. Do not come around the corner he expects you to come out.

· If your opponent landed a Sabot shot and you did not, it is better to retreat and repair, since the advantage was lost.

· Do not wait for the opponent to pop out in order to react - you will lose the reaction game.

· If you are in CQC and are not able to outplay your opponent normally by peekaboo, it is a fair idea to take control of the fight by charging into your opponent and fighting within breath distance.

6.   Tools:

Power Shot (Special ability):

· Using the SS ability in conjunction with the Slug and Sabot give the SS the best burst amongst other mechs.

Weapons:

· Using Slug is in general more advisable then SA Hawkins, it is consistent with Sabot tactics given lower rate of fire and higher damage.

· Slug is 95% accurate, while moving it has a vertical offset.

· To maximize the burst damage, fire both the slug and sabot at simultaneously.

Hologram:

· Use it as a decoy to snipe from a different angle.

· Use it as an alarm against flanking opponents.

· Drop it while escaping the opponent to slow him down.

· Drop it when in CQC, it will obscure and confuse your opponent.

(Pretend to be a hologram by standing still in an obvious place. = Bad advice IMO, I always put one shot into SS standing still, to test it.)

MG Turret:

· Use it as an alarm against flanking opponent.

· Use it as distraction in CQC.

EMP:

· Charge is slow, so learn to predict your opponent next move.

7.   Creativity:

· Be unpredictable, avoid patterns, and confuse your opponent.

· Dodging and weaving is good, but sometimes it pays off to stand still next to a hologram.

· Switch between long and midrange tactics once in a while.

8.   Additional  tactics:

Find an alley with full cover midway through it. Place a turret midway and a hologram in partial cover at the end. Instigate a mid-range chase, retreat down the hallway and hide behind the full cover. Start repairing. Between the distraction of the turret and a repairing enemy down the way, the enemy almost always rushes right past you. Shoot him in the back! [Cymatic]

Fake Retreat: If you get in trouble run away, but stop a short distance away if they're not pursuing and keep an eye on your radar (or your team's chat) to see if the enemies have engaged someone else. Don't take the time to repair, but sneak back and try to get off a few long range shots. They'll be distracted, so you're fairly safe, and a couple of salvos can change the tide of the battle. [Eis9_M0th]

Slug Rationing: Don't always keep plinking away with the slug. You'll run into a lot of opponents that will stand and fight and only take cover at the last second. The slug by itself will take them low enough they'll duck without you being able to kill them. Instead, ease up on the slug shots so the target thinks it's safe and will stay in the open until your sabot recharges, then blow them away with one volley. [Eis9_M0th]

Bermuda Triangle:
Step 1: find a cozy spot to deploy your MG Turret. (Try to set it up where it won’t shoot until someone is looking at your hologram)
Step 2: place your hologram across a gap from your turret.
Step 3: start sniping to bring players into the trap.
Step 4: grab some cover
Step 5: wait for the MG turret to start firing
Step 6: jump out of cover and smoke the guy
[MechPilot6666]

CQC vs two opponents: Don't alternate shots between the two.
STEP ONE: pick a guy, call him T1, and charge him, hug him, circle him land on his head – do anything but put him between you and the other enemy.
STEP TWO: Shoot the other one, T2. You would be amazed how hard it is for T1 to hit you and T2 will obviously be having trouble shooting around T1. I've survived multiple 2 v 1 fights doing this, but usually the guy I'm face hugging ends up killing me after I roast his buddy.
PRO TIP: When running away don't be afraid to spin and put a sabot into your pursuers here and there. It makes them wary and can buy time for your team to come and support. [MechPilot6666]

Edited by Guiotine, April 10 2013 - 07:49 AM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#2 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted December 17 2012 - 02:03 AM

What I mean is that the longer you stay in your sniping spot, the longer it takes for your enemy to identify your position and hunt you down.
I think you mean 'the quicker the enemy will find your position and hunt you down', yes_

Otherwise, I like it and I can't see any real holes in what you have posted. :)

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#3 SOLID_ICE

SOLID_ICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hi, I need to know if Slug or SABOT rifles are considered "bullet shooting" weapons. If they are (I dont this that) there is an item to increase the damage...

#4 InfestedFirman

InfestedFirman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationTop of the scoreboard

Posted December 17 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostSOLID_ICE, on December 17 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Hi, I need to know if Slug or SABOT rifles are considered "bullet shooting" weapons. If they are (I dont this that) there is an item to increase the damage...

Yes they are, because they're definitely not explosive.

EDIT: Alright, I don't see anything wrong with this guide so I'll be adding this to the Master guidelist, if you could add more detailed things such as sniping spots, optimizations, items and internal loadouts, that'd be grand.

Edited by InfestedFirman, December 17 2012 - 05:15 AM.

New to Hawken_ Check this Master Guidelist out!

[llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll] - Clever Response Loading.... Please wait.

#5 SOLID_ICE

SOLID_ICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:14 AM

Better Rocket turret or MG_

#6 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:38 AM

The slug is 100% accurate while moving. It has a vertical offset. I don't have access to the game atm so no screenshots :(

All your points should go into mobility.

I'm wanting to write a comprehensive SS guide soon, but I agree with everything in this topic so far. There are more 'tricks' to the SS as well as some good refinement for the class left to do. It is one of the top-tier classes imo with a lot more potential (obviously I'm slightly biased, and I suck with the infiltrator :P)

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#7 WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationUpon a Leibnizsaur

Posted December 17 2012 - 06:55 AM

I play a lot of FFA DM, so I will contribute this:

If you get into a CQC situation, first see if you can get out. If you are against a C type, you can probably dodge around corners and get away. B, not so much. A, you are probably dead.

In case you are completely caught out, your only options are to either run around for as long as you can to distract them, buying your team time to react, or to get out as much damage as possible. In both cases, you want to prolong yout life as much as possible. Time alive = time that can be spent shooting = outputting damage = assists.

I would think this is relevant in all game modes, even in FFA DM, since it is possible to catch any chasers in a crossfire and make it out alive. In team games, this is even more important, since there is a good chance your team will help you (unless you are in the middle of nowhere - in which case, distract anyway, and let as many people chase you, buying time for your team to capture points).

EDIT:

Oops, I forgot about your disclaimer.

What I really wanted to say about CQC: time your dodges, your opponents dodges, and your weapon cooldowns. More than any other class in this situation, SS has to land every shot, which is VERY difficult (CQC after all). The cooldown on your enemy's dodge and secondary weapon are the most important: when they are both on cooldown is your best time to land a good shot, then dodge away when they are about to launch a counterattack.

Edited by WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, December 17 2012 - 06:59 AM.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#8 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted December 17 2012 - 08:07 AM

View PostInfestedFirman, on December 17 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

View PostSOLID_ICE, on December 17 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

Yes they are, because they're definitely not explosive.

EDIT: Alright, I don't see anything wrong with this guide so I'll be adding this to the Master guidelist, if you could add more detailed things such as sniping spots, optimizations, items and internal loadouts, that'd be grand.

I would love to, but I haven't quite messed with internals and optimizations as much as I would like to be able to give some proper advice on it.

View PostSOLID_ICE, on December 17 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

typically in the combo I described people use the MG turret, as you don't expect a SS to have explosive type weapons (well, they don't have machine guns either, but its closer than the rocket turret :P)

View Postbacon_avenger, on December 17 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

What I mean is that the longer you stay in your sniping spot, the longer it takes for your enemy to identify your position and hunt you down.
I think you mean 'the quicker the enemy will find your position and hunt you down', yes_

Otherwise, I like it and I can't see any real holes in what you have posted. :)

Changed, thanks for pointing that out :P

View PostReachH, on December 17 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

I'm wanting to write a comprehensive SS guide soon, but I agree with everything in this topic so far. There are more 'tricks' to the SS as well as some good refinement for the class left to do. It is one of the top-tier classes imo with a lot more potential (obviously I'm slightly biased, and I suck with the infiltrator :P)

I agree, there is a lot more to the SS, and I think it would take a lot of time to learn to play one well.

Updated the OP. ty all for helping out :D

ReachH said:

#9 mechpilot6666

mechpilot6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 18 2012 - 01:55 AM

I made a long post to add to this but my internet crashed.... OH MAE GERD!!!! I will be posting later after work >.>

#10 mechpilot6666

mechpilot6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 18 2012 - 04:24 AM

OK lets do this now. I love my SS and this is how I play 90% of the time... sometimes I go crazy and use it as a CQB machine but that's just bad policy and shouldn't be done unless you're crazy.

EDIT: I'm also the top scorer in just about every game I play with this Sharp Shooter. And Since I've adopted these tactics I can count my teams losses on one hand.

I agree with some points on this topic but I play my Sharpshooter a whole lot different. No disrespect to OP but this is kinda the early phase of being a SS. If you want to be a good SS pilot you have to do things ALOT differently. at least in my humble opinion.

So lets break it down.

- PATIENCE. This is the key! muy importante and all that jazz. be patient or die. It's that simple. Don't panic shoot, don't burn dodges early, and DO NOT chase an almost dead enemy into a swarm of enemies. Unless you have a pre planned escape route. PRO TIP: always have an escape route in your mind.

- PHILOSOPHY. getting deep early right_ You are a support class. You are not a kill fuzzy bunny like snipers in every other game. You burn enemies down so they are easy for your team to kill. Don't get me wrong this class gets a ton of kills but don't shift from the full hp target entering the fray to burn a Sabot round on a guy with 20 HP. That's doing your team dirty. Aim for assists, the kills will come, trust me.

- SHOOTING. sounds simple enough. My old range buddy had a great saying "Aim small miss small" in plain english this means don't just aim for the mech aim for a joint or camo pattern intersection. This will increase your focus and limit your wild shots instantly. It basically tricks your brain, because you will still probably miss that spot alot, but you will hit the overall target alot more.

- AIM LOW. should I have put this in shooting_ Do we get a damage bonus for shooting the mech in the tippy top of its head_ NO. so why aim high and limit the backdrop for missed shots_ Aim low. A mechs groin, for lack of a better term, is the best aimpoint. PRO TIP:  when on the move aim at a foot because your gun shoots high when on the move.

- STAY MOBILE. "a mobile sniper you say__ bah humbug!" It's true! I can't count how many times I've seen immobile snipers get wrecked in a heartbeat while the enemy team couldn't hit me if you promised them a real life mech for doing it. I know from personal experience a stationary target a mile away is easier to hit than a 5 D mech at close range! 5 D(dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge) Also I lick my chops when I see a stationary sniper in my SS I can guarantee 3/4 of his health gone in under a second. PRO TIP: Stutter stepping and weaving can save your life. Going in a straight line at a steady speed is a pretty easy shot for an enemy.

- STAY LOW. "pshhhaw! a sniper must be on high to snipe the puny ant's with his god cannon!" Maybe so but it makes you an easy target. In my progression as a Sniper I find taking a few shots from a high perch is nice but that perch is usually exposed and leads to you getting flanked and spanked. Certain maps provide good high points that are safe E.G. the bridge in that one map (>.< brain cramp sorry.) But staying close to the ground and lots of escape routes is a much better idea. Also your team can help you alot more from an enemy rounding a corner on you than they can if your on high getting pounded from 4 corners away. PRO TIP: jumping high spotting the enemy and relaying the info to your team is great but don't get greedy and feed the enemy team a kill because you got immobile.

- STICK WITH THE TEAM! obvious right_ Sometimes I even get caught by the, I am god on high mentality and don't notice my team drifting away. I then get promptly smashed by three enemy mechs at close range while I'm screaming "Fuzzy Bunnies" no PRO TIP for this one... just do it.

- CQB. yes it's possible. This takes alot of twitch shooting, never staying still, and awareness. You are at the disadvantage in CQB what should that tell you_ It tells me every shot must count and I better not stand still. Basic tips for this, Wait for the enemy to dodge to burn your sabot. Wait for the enemy to launch his TOW/hellfires or big special to burn your dodge. I say this because as a sniper you can see that round coming and if you're fast enough you can escape it. PRO TIP: Figure out the enemies gun, know the weaknesses of the gun and use them to save your tail.

- 2 V YOU. "bend over and kiss your bum goodbye" yeah you're probably dead if you decide to stay and fight. Never be afraid to run like a little girl screaming "SAYV MEH" to your team. That being your smart option let me take you through the dumb option.(this is my preferred method) Pick one and burn him down. Don't alternate shots between the two. STEP ONE: pick a guy, call him T1, and charge him hug him circle him land on his head anything but put him between you and the other enemy. STEP TWO: Shoot the other one,T2. You would be amazed how hard it is for T1 to hit you and T2 will obviously be having trouble shooting around T1. I've survived multiple 2 v 1 fights doing this, but usually the guy I'm face hugging ends up killing me after I roast his buddy.  PRO TIP: When running away don't be afraid to spin and put a sabot into your pursuers here and there. It makes them wary and can buy time for your team to come and support.

- HOLOGRAM. "You hacker I can't do any damage to you and you killed me from behind when you were obviously in front of me!!!" that's a direct quote from an anonymous player. This little toy is amazing! and has so many uses! A decoy for enemies to expose their position by shooting at it or, my favorite, as a split second decoy. Getting chased by two or more enemies_ drop this puppy at a junction and haul around the next building. The few seconds they spend shooting it can save your tail. OR (more fun) let you flank around their blind side and load em up with 2 slugs and a sabot and keep on running, or stay and kill them if you can!

Like I said at the beginning these are my opinions. I am having great success with my sniper, (687 kills, 548 assists, and 268 deaths and 656,970 damage) that's also with a ton of terrible games when I first started playing this class. I don't believe in sitting back with this class, I use it mid range and in direct support of a friendly group. Also I'm all the way down the assault tree and deep in movement, I think of this class as a Designated Marksman not as a Sniper. Alpha strike move, alpha strike move. Cassius Clay said it best for this class, "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"

Once again this is my Opinion and I hope it helps some of the newer people!

Edited by mechpilot6666, December 18 2012 - 04:31 AM.

#11 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 11:26 AM

View Postmechpilot6666, on December 18 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

OK lets do this now. I love my SS and this is how I play 90% of the time... sometimes I go crazy and use it as a CQB machine but that's just bad policy and shouldn't be done unless you're crazy.

EDIT: I'm also the top scorer in just about every game I play with this Sharp Shooter. And Since I've adopted these tactics I can count my teams losses on one hand.

I agree with some points on this topic but I play my Sharpshooter a whole lot different. No disrespect to OP but this is kinda the early phase of being a SS. If you want to be a good SS pilot you have to do things ALOT differently. at least in my humble opinion.

So lets break it down.

- PATIENCE. This is the key! muy importante and all that jazz. be patient or die. It's that simple. Don't panic shoot, don't burn dodges early, and DO NOT chase an almost dead enemy into a swarm of enemies. Unless you have a pre planned escape route. PRO TIP: always have an escape route in your mind.

- PHILOSOPHY. getting deep early right_ You are a support class. You are not a kill fuzzy bunny like snipers in every other game. You burn enemies down so they are easy for your team to kill. Don't get me wrong this class gets a ton of kills but don't shift from the full hp target entering the fray to burn a Sabot round on a guy with 20 HP. That's doing your team dirty. Aim for assists, the kills will come, trust me.

- SHOOTING. sounds simple enough. My old range buddy had a great saying "Aim small miss small" in plain english this means don't just aim for the mech aim for a joint or camo pattern intersection. This will increase your focus and limit your wild shots instantly. It basically tricks your brain, because you will still probably miss that spot alot, but you will hit the overall target alot more.

- AIM LOW. should I have put this in shooting_ Do we get a damage bonus for shooting the mech in the tippy top of its head_ NO. so why aim high and limit the backdrop for missed shots_ Aim low. A mechs groin, for lack of a better term, is the best aimpoint. PRO TIP:  when on the move aim at a foot because your gun shoots high when on the move.

- STAY MOBILE. "a mobile sniper you say__ bah humbug!" It's true! I can't count how many times I've seen immobile snipers get wrecked in a heartbeat while the enemy team couldn't hit me if you promised them a real life mech for doing it. I know from personal experience a stationary target a mile away is easier to hit than a 5 D mech at close range! 5 D(dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge) Also I lick my chops when I see a stationary sniper in my SS I can guarantee 3/4 of his health gone in under a second. PRO TIP: Stutter stepping and weaving can save your life. Going in a straight line at a steady speed is a pretty easy shot for an enemy.

- STAY LOW. "pshhhaw! a sniper must be on high to snipe the puny ant's with his god cannon!" Maybe so but it makes you an easy target. In my progression as a Sniper I find taking a few shots from a high perch is nice but that perch is usually exposed and leads to you getting flanked and spanked. Certain maps provide good high points that are safe E.G. the bridge in that one map (>.< brain cramp sorry.) But staying close to the ground and lots of escape routes is a much better idea. Also your team can help you alot more from an enemy rounding a corner on you than they can if your on high getting pounded from 4 corners away. PRO TIP: jumping high spotting the enemy and relaying the info to your team is great but don't get greedy and feed the enemy team a kill because you got immobile.

- STICK WITH THE TEAM! obvious right_ Sometimes I even get caught by the, I am god on high mentality and don't notice my team drifting away. I then get promptly smashed by three enemy mechs at close range while I'm screaming "Fuzzy Bunnies" no PRO TIP for this one... just do it.

- CQB. yes it's possible. This takes alot of twitch shooting, never staying still, and awareness. You are at the disadvantage in CQB what should that tell you_ It tells me every shot must count and I better not stand still. Basic tips for this, Wait for the enemy to dodge to burn your sabot. Wait for the enemy to launch his TOW/hellfires or big special to burn your dodge. I say this because as a sniper you can see that round coming and if you're fast enough you can escape it. PRO TIP: Figure out the enemies gun, know the weaknesses of the gun and use them to save your tail.

- 2 V YOU. "bend over and kiss your bum goodbye" yeah you're probably dead if you decide to stay and fight. Never be afraid to run like a little girl screaming "SAYV MEH" to your team. That being your smart option let me take you through the dumb option.(this is my preferred method) Pick one and burn him down. Don't alternate shots between the two. STEP ONE: pick a guy, call him T1, and charge him hug him circle him land on his head anything but put him between you and the other enemy. STEP TWO: Shoot the other one,T2. You would be amazed how hard it is for T1 to hit you and T2 will obviously be having trouble shooting around T1. I've survived multiple 2 v 1 fights doing this, but usually the guy I'm face hugging ends up killing me after I roast his buddy.  PRO TIP: When running away don't be afraid to spin and put a sabot into your pursuers here and there. It makes them wary and can buy time for your team to come and support.

- HOLOGRAM. "You hacker I can't do any damage to you and you killed me from behind when you were obviously in front of me!!!" that's a direct quote from an anonymous player. This little toy is amazing! and has so many uses! A decoy for enemies to expose their position by shooting at it or, my favorite, as a split second decoy. Getting chased by two or more enemies_ drop this puppy at a junction and haul around the next building. The few seconds they spend shooting it can save your tail. OR (more fun) let you flank around their blind side and load em up with 2 slugs and a sabot and keep on running, or stay and kill them if you can!

Like I said at the beginning these are my opinions. I am having great success with my sniper, (687 kills, 548 assists, and 268 deaths and 656,970 damage) that's also with a ton of terrible games when I first started playing this class. I don't believe in sitting back with this class, I use it mid range and in direct support of a friendly group. Also I'm all the way down the assault tree and deep in movement, I think of this class as a Designated Marksman not as a Sniper. Alpha strike move, alpha strike move. Cassius Clay said it best for this class, "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"

Once again this is my Opinion and I hope it helps some of the newer people!

No, l agree with most of what you said, and you had some good tips for CQC in particular. I would have to point out though that there are quite a few spots on a couple maps where you can be both high up and out of sight. Origin is one such map.

edit: updated OP with your tips, thanks for the contribution :lol:

Edited by Guiotine, December 18 2012 - 11:36 AM.

ReachH said:

#12 Cymatic

Cymatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:14 PM

Awesome, this is wonderful advice and I agree with all of it. My best in game moments and performances happened when I played as mechpilot666 described. Too bad I didn't read this thread earlier, as I found out most of these things the hard way.

A bit specific, but I would like to add the technique "Lure" or "Booby trapped escape route." It requires a specific environment, but is gratifying when it works. Find an alley with full cover midway through it. Place a turret midway and a hologram in partial cover at the end. Instigate a mid range chase, retreat down the hallway and hide behind the full cover. Start repairing. Between the distraction of the turret and a repairing enemy down the way, the enemy almost always rushes right past you. Shoot 'em in the back! Bonus points if you have a friend/friends at the end of the alley. Once took down over half a team with this before they wised up.

I prefer MG turret. Damage I could care less about, because the turret
  • Lets me know when an enemy is approaching so I can bail from my sniper nest/repair.
  • Confuses and distracts an enemy when i place it in a 'sniper-ish' position that flanks my own.
  • Can be placed inside/right behind a hologram for various shenanigans. More realistic feint than the Rocket.
Good luck, fellow sharpshooters!

#13 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:42 PM

CQC SS:

My SS setup is
All movement upgrades
Slug
MG turret
Hologram (makes for epic lol's watching people spray away at your hologram while you pick them off.  Also, I like to look at my awesome skin)

Quickly dodge around corners and take the shots as you can.  You'll basically need to hit 100% of your shots to win, but, nobody said SS was easy.  You'll get used to it.

Why should you learn to CQC SS_  Because 90% of the game is CQC, and even if you're at some "pro sniper spot yo", it doesn't take any more than a mediocre player to get up to you and take you out.  You will be CQC eventually.  This is especially true in Siege mode.  Every player not on the point is essentially worthless to the team.

Obviously in TDM you can set up somewhere to snipe, just know you'll need to CQC someone eventually once they find you, which won't take long.

Missile:  While you don't necessarily need your entire team on point, you're still not very beneficial to your team if you aren't able to CQC and help out when needed.

TBH, snipers that sit in the back and just snipe are the last thing I worry about while playing.

EDIT:  You'll need to quick scope to CQC.  You can try w/o, but like I said before, you need to hit 100% to be successful.  If you're not scoped, your sabot isn't going to hit 100%.

EDIT 2:  CQC SS is what I do 99% of the time.

EDIT 3:  You need to put yourself into fuzzy bunny situations or you'll never get better.  I'll frequently take on 3v1 just for practice.  It will increase your situational awareness and reaction time if you practice that.  Makes a 1v1 a cakewalk.

Edited by RedVan, December 18 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#14 Stanith

Stanith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostRedVan, on December 18 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

CQC SS:

My SS setup is
All movement upgrades
Slug
MG turret
Hologram (makes for epic lol's watching people spray away at your hologram while you pick them off.  Also, I like to look at my awesome skin)

Quickly dodge around corners and take the shots as you can.  You'll basically need to hit 100% of your shots to win, but, nobody said SS was easy.  You'll get used to it.

Why should you learn to CQC SS_  Because 90% of the game is CQC, and even if you're at some "pro sniper spot yo", it doesn't take any more than a mediocre player to get up to you and take you out.  You will be CQC eventually.  This is especially true in Siege mode.  Every player not on the point is essentially worthless to the team.

Obviously in TDM you can set up somewhere to snipe, just know you'll need to CQC someone eventually once they find you, which won't take long.

Missile:  While you don't necessarily need your entire team on point, you're still not very beneficial to your team if you aren't able to CQC and help out when needed.

TBH, snipers that sit in the back and just snipe are the last thing I worry about while playing.

EDIT:  You'll need to quick scope to CQC.  You can try w/o, but like I said before, you need to hit 100% to be successful.  If you're not scoped, your sabot isn't going to hit 100%.

Same setup as me.  Also I agree with the advice here, learn to CQC as you can't avoid it in this game on most maps.

#15 mechpilot6666

mechpilot6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:53 PM

Yeah Guiotine I agreed with most of your post also. I'm just used to forums where someone freaks if you disagree with one point XD.

I personally don't like staying up high but that is probably a playstyle (or I'm doing it wrong) thing more than anything.
EDIT: Also sitting in the back just doesn't seem to work for me, once again maybe playstyle or maybe just "I'm doing it wrong"

The CQB tips were painful painful lessons learned so I figured anything to help another Sharpshooter! Unless you're shooting against me please just stand still and don't return fire then please :P

ALSO you gotta add the Cassius Clay motto!!!! (I used his birth name because M Ali's name is fuzzy bunnied for some reason) "Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a bee!"

Also @ cymatic That is a hilarious strategy and I now need to buy an MG turret. I can just imagine the guy at his controls like WTF just happened!__!_!_! ROPE A DOPE!

Edited by mechpilot6666, December 18 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#16 TerranCmdr

TerranCmdr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted December 18 2012 - 12:59 PM

Great tips, thanks for sharing.
Awesome Sentium logo in my avatar by erathic

#17 SOLID_ICE

SOLID_ICE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 01:00 PM

My setup is similar but differs in two things (Im still lvl13):

The upgrades are also attack: +damage, less visual to the radar when shooting and lower Heat on weapons. also side moving speed increased.

And I have aded that ofensive item that gives you 5% more of damage losing some max armor.

#18 TwiceDead

TwiceDead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 01:09 PM

Lot's of useful info here!
Thank you.
Posted Image

#19 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostCymatic, on December 18 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Awesome, this is wonderful advice and I agree with all of it. My best in game moments and performances happened when I played as mechpilot666 described. Too bad I didn't read this thread earlier, as I found out most of these things the hard way.

A bit specific, but I would like to add the technique "Lure" or "Booby trapped escape route." It requires a specific environment, but is gratifying when it works. Find an alley with full cover midway through it. Place a turret midway and a hologram in partial cover at the end. Instigate a mid range chase, retreat down the hallway and hide behind the full cover. Start repairing. Between the distraction of the turret and a repairing enemy down the way, the enemy almost always rushes right past you. Shoot 'em in the back! Bonus points if you have a friend/friends at the end of the alley. Once took down over half a team with this before they wised up.

I prefer MG turret. Damage I could care less about, because the turret
  • Lets me know when an enemy is approaching so I can bail from my sniper nest/repair.
  • Confuses and distracts an enemy when i place it in a 'sniper-ish' position that flanks my own.
  • Can be placed inside/right behind a hologram for various shenanigans. More realistic feint than the Rocket.
Good luck, fellow sharpshooters!

Your strategy has been added to the OP, thanks for the contribution :lol:

View PostRedVan, on December 18 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

CQC SS:

My SS setup is
All movement upgrades
Slug
MG turret

EDIT 3:  You need to put yourself into fuzzy bunny situations or you'll never get better.  I'll frequently take on 3v1 just for practice.  It will increase your situational awareness and reaction time if you practice that.  Makes a 1v1 a cakewalk.

Excellent job giving pointers for CQC. Personally, I find it a bit insane that you do CQC so much with your SS, but hey, different playstyles and all that. Anyway, added to the OP, thanks :D

View Postmechpilot6666, on December 18 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Yeah Guiotine I agreed with most of your post also. I'm just used to forums where someone freaks if you disagree with one point XD.

I personally don't like staying up high but that is probably a playstyle (or I'm doing it wrong) thing more than anything.
EDIT: Also sitting in the back just doesn't seem to work for me, once again maybe playstyle or maybe just "I'm doing it wrong"

The CQB tips were painful painful lessons learned so I figured anything to help another Sharpshooter! Unless you're shooting against me please just stand still and don't return fire then please :P

ALSO you gotta add the Cassius Clay motto!!!! (I used his birth name because M Ali's name is fuzzy bunnied for some reason) "Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a bee!"

Also @ cymatic That is a hilarious strategy and I now need to buy an MG turret. I can just imagine the guy at his controls like WTF just happened!__!_!_! ROPE A DOPE!

Your quote was added, and I apologize if I confused you with my attempt to at least seem reasonable on an internet forum. :P Staying high and sitting back are definitely Playstyle choices, since Redvan also seems to favor CQC SS.

ReachH said:

#20 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 18 2012 - 05:10 PM

Woa this thread is great.

I had avoided it for a long time considering i do not play the SS and expected this to be a request for tips.

But props to Guio.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but: optimizations round UP. so dont waste your points, use them wisely.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users