HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

A Guide to the Almighty Grenadier

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Yaie

Yaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 18 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm just on a posting roll these past few days! Anyway, I've heard from several people that they found the Grenadier a very hard to master mech, and I couldn't find any guide specifically for the Grenadier, so I thought I'd make one. I would also very much like to record a video of my playing the Grenadier, in case I don't explain things very well, but I don't have any extra money to purchase recording software.

The Grenadier is 1 of the 4 C-Classes currently in Hawken, and thus it is slow, has much more health, and has a much harder time escaping from tight situations. C-Classes have giant hitboxes as well, making them extremely easy to hit. I won't go over ability, because all of the C-Class' abilities are hindrances to them. I also will not cover internals, because I do not use them on any mech, so I know almost nothing about what impacts they make. More so than any other mech, radar awareness is EXTREMELY important in the Grenadier. Always find yourself a corner or rock that you can stay behind and watch your enemies movements from, and avoid 1v2+ situations as best you can. Because damage avoidance is everything in Hawken, save your fuel! Don't be boosting to get around everywhere, it makes you show up on radar, and it makes you more vulnerable if you get jumped. Yes, you're a slow C-Class, but it's for your own good!

--Weapons

-Grenade Launcher ~ The secondary weapon for the Grenadier is the Grenade Launcher. If the Grenadier did not have this secondary, its playstle would be nothing like it is now; It is what makes the Grenadier feared. The Grenade Launcher fires a relatively large spiked grenade that travels at a slow rate, but not too slow. It bounces pretty high, while still keeping the original speed, and it will explode after 1 second of bouncing. Doesn't seem that great, it's exactly like an H.E. Charge! But! its defining feature is that you can choose when to detonate it. Pressing the secondary fire button after firing a grenade will explode the grenade right there in the air. This allows for SO many opportunities. You can hit people behind walls and you can still do massive damage without even hitting your enemies! In close combat, wait for the enemy to dodge before firing, and even if they move out of the way, you can detonate your grenade and do close to the same damage.

-Rev-GL ~ The Rev-GL is quite a hard to master weapon, though if you are familiar with the Grenade Launcher secondary, it becomes easier to use. Each projectile does around 75 damage on a direct hit, and they have more of a bounce and faster projectile speed than the Grenade Launcher grenades. Staying at the edge of a corner, you can watch when an enemy will come around the other side, and launch both Grenades right before they show themselves. Dodge back into cover so that the enemy never has LoS to you, and they get a mouth full of damage. You can also bounce your grenades over or around a wall to damage your opponents. High heat generation means that you MUST not just spam your fire button. If you're fighting an A-Class, restrain your inner demon and wait until they dodge to launch your grenades. This wait allows you to keep your heat in check, while doing more damage than you would if random firing all over the place. Overall, lead your shots with radar prediction and wait to fire after your enemy has dodged. Don't try firing while dodging yourself if you have not mastered the projectile speed and arc, you might end up bouncing the grenade off the wall before you get around it and hurt yourself. This weapon really does make the Grenadier the best it could possibly be.

-HEAT Cannon ~ The HEAT Cannon is a chargeable (I wouldn't say projectile, but it comes close) weapon that can do a very high amount of damage for direct hits. It has a good splash that comes in handy, and when at a relatively close range, it's almost a hitscan weapon. Because of this, don't engage ANYONE that is too far for you to hit with your Grenade Launcher effectively, if you can't then you're too far away. Just like with the Rev-GL, wait until your opponent dodges to fire. This gives you time to charge the HEAT to full power, which in turn is much more damage than you would do by firing multiple un-charged shots that frequently miss. When on a corner, just like with the Rev-GL, fire your secondary predicting when they will be coming around, but instead of dodging right after you shoot, wait until you can just see them, and fire the HEAT. You might get hit more often, but a charged HEAT shot will do more damage. Overall, use splash to your advantage and charge each HEAT shot before firing.

-Point-D Vulcan ~ This weapon fits the Grenadier the least. Close range, the Vulcan does very good consistent damage, but because of the Grenadier's play style, having to keep your reticle on your target at almost all times witholds you from maximizing the Grenade Launcher's potential. Again, radar awareness is everything, watch when your opponent will round the corner, shoot the Grenade Launcher so that it smacks them when they come around, and start spinning your Vulcan. This spin-up time is a huge disadvantage, so you must start spinning before they are in your LoS. Don't let go of your fire button for too long to fire the Grenade, or you'll end up having to spin it up again.

--Items

-EMP ~ One of the only 3 viable items for Grenadier, this shuts down your enemies weapons so that you have time to either heal or get a good amount of extra damage in. Remember, this item has a relatively slow travel speed, so lead the shot. Just like Grenades, wait until your enemy has dodged if you're using it in the middle of combat.

-Shield ~ Everyone agrees that the shield is a bit OP in its current state...so, why not use it_ The shield will absorb all incoming damage for about 10 seconds, and still allows you to fire from inside it. Most skilled players know that when an enemy drops a shield, you don't engage them until they're out of it, or it wears off. When deploying your shield, the best places to use it are in a narrow pathway, so that it covers you while not allowing as many flanking positions. If your enemy deploys a shield, don't charge them. The Grenadier's explosive damage will hurt you for just as much as you're hurting them, with the added damage that they're doing to you. You'll die faster than you ever have before. When using the shield, if an enemy charges you, don't hesitate to get out of the shield as soon they're at the edge of the shield's radius. They'll be a bit confused as to where you went if you dodge, and then they're sitting in an empty shield with low health and you're no where to be found. Most players will take the bait if you show yourself just a bit and will charge you. Perfect time to smack them with Grenades. You can also use the shield to heal quite a bit of your health back, if they're at a reasonable range away.

-Detonator ~ The most used item in the game, the Detonator is like having a slower, harder hitting (On direct hit) TOW. Almost every player in the 2000+ MMR range has the Detonator on more than 1 mech. If you fire the Detonator, it will go in a straight line from where you shot it, and it will explode on impact. It seems to have a low splash damage if you don't hit directly, but the splash has a wide radius, so the Detonator is still rewarding if you miss by a lot. With the Grenadier, it gives you a huge 1v1 combat advantage. When you're firing your Grenades at someone coming around the corner, shoot the Detonator as well, and BOOM, half their health is gone, you're out of sight, and they are freaking out. Swoop in for the kill shortly after and repeat. The Detonator is, in my opinion, the best item to use on the Grenadier.

--Optimization

-Offense ~ As most of us can agree, the offensive tree if almost completely worthless, but there is one thing that makes putting in 10 points worth it. 1.5 seconds off your secondary reload time, especially on the Grenadier with its awesomeness, is well worth it.

-Defense ~ The defense tree is the way to go on most C-Classes, mainly because they are the slowest and have the most health. That gives them a distinct defensive advantage from the start. Put points into healing start-up time and healing rate, and add the 3.5% more armor. This gives you a grand total of 932 health, and it allows you to spend much less time healing. THat's a bunch of extra health, and will save your life more times than you can count.

-Speed ~ Speed is not a C-Class' best friend, so I avoid this tree totally. Those that play Siege often might appreciate the extra energy cappacity, and higher up in the tree is another boost to dodging, which some might like.

Hopefully at some point I can record a video of how to play the Grenadier, and show it's true colors to everyone clearly. Until then, I hope my guide helps and that you all enjoy it. If there is anything I missed, feel free to call me out on it.

~Yaie
ブルートワイバーン
   Brute Wyvern

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted June 18 2013 - 11:41 AM

Good guide! Great work on this. :)

One thing to note, however, regarding the offensive optimization tree. That optimization doesn't take 1.5 seconds off the reload time, it takes 1.5% off the reload time, which is effectively... Nothing. So the offensive tree is, unfortunately, useless currently. :(

Edit: VVV It's not a big deal, don't worry too much about it, a lot of other people were tricked in the past, and we only knew once it was tested. Anyway, if I may own suggestion for a C class optimization build, here is what I use on my Brawler.

Spoiler

Edited by Saturnine, June 18 2013 - 11:52 AM.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#3 Yaie

Yaie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 18 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostSaturnine, on June 18 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Good guide! Great work on this. :)

One thing to note, however, regarding the offensive optimization tree. That optimization doesn't take 1.5 seconds off the reload time, it takes 1.5% off the reload time, which is effectively... Nothing. So the offensive tree is, unfortunately, useless currently. :(
Well...That is quite unfortunate that I didn't catch this. Thank you! I guess I need to redo my own optimizations then.
ブルートワイバーン
   Brute Wyvern

#4 thatguythellama

thatguythellama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationOrbiting alpha centauri A, thinking about moving to B, just for a scenery change

Posted June 18 2013 - 11:54 AM

Honestly, best rev-gl advice. Don't miss. Direct hits do great damage, just don't miss
In keeping with the best airborne tradition of relying on madmen instead of firepower, six of us with one BAR replaced eighteen 79th division doggies with a water cooled .50 and an air cooled .30.
David Webster, E company, Holland, 1945  

#5 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted June 18 2013 - 01:03 PM

For an offensive internal, I use the Explosive Munitions.  Once I equipped it, there was a noticeable difference in the amount of explosive damage I did.  The reduced health isn't too big of an issue, as the 3.5% health optimization pretty makes up for that loss (and the fact that you still come out with like ~870 HP, which isn't terrible).  Either Fuel Generator or Thrusters for functional internal for added, and I haven't played around with any of the defensive internals yet because I don't have enough HC :3

I would beg to differ when it comes to optimizing a C-class.  As mobility is king in Hawken, the least I can do is to try to keep up with everyone else.  Not to mention that seeing a speedy C-class is something to behold - and fear. Nothing more gratifying than having little A-classes come running up to me expecting a slow moving block of metal but encounter something that could rival their own speed in CQC.  My Grenadier is only half fully leveled, but I have most of the points into the Movement tree, and there is also a noticeable difference in my movement speed.  Increasing any sort of speed on the Grenadier is good, or any C-class in general.  I'm not sure about other C-classes to be honest, but the rest of the C-classes are my next mech investments, so I'll figure it out then.

For items, I really like the H.E charge over the detonator because the Grenadier isn't a LoS fighter, which is kinda like what the Detonator is, a slow TOW.  I can understand where you're coming from, but I think the H.E charge is really underrated.  I shoot it off in a CQC firefight, have it land on the ground, and usually somebody will dodge into it or walk close enough and get splash damage.  It's like a big mine.  The only other viable options, I agree, are the EMP and the Shield.

BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANTEST TIP FOR GRENADIER: You mentioned it, but I want to emphasize it.  WAIT for the enemy mech to dodge before firing! You maximize damage better that way.  Instinctively, you just wanna fire all blind and hope you hit, but I've gotten killed more times than wildly firing working.

Not sure about Point-D on the Grenadier, but I'll get it soon enough and test it out.

Great guide!! I was actually planning on writing one but you beat me to it :D

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#6 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 03:44 PM

A decent guide, but I think you need to educate yourself on the internals because you're completely ignoring opportunities like a 7% damage buff for only -3.5% reduction in total armor with Explosive Munitions.  Not to mention the mobility modifications like Boosters/Fuel Gen

Here's my $0.02

Grenadier:
  • Strategy - You're not a LOS fighter...you do a disservice to yourself trying to rock the Detonator and the Heat.  Stick with Rev-GL, even through lvl 25, the Vulcan's buff in the Heatsink-patch is a nice improvement, but it's still only good for close-range engagement which you shouldn't be doing...don't compromise on your core-function to half-ass a close range augmentation that the Brawler serves better in.  Let the A-Class Infiltrator use the Heat/EoC, and others the Vulcan, they have the mobility and small hitbox necessary to risk exposing themselves to direct fire.  Heat is fine on Grenadier if you're not playing seriously, but you'll just get chewed up by Sharps and Reapers that have better range.

• Optimization - Focus Optimizations points in Mobility and then Defense...mobility is king

• Special Ability - Fortified mode gives you a 25% damage boost to your weapons in exchange for low mobility...but only turtle when you are confident you won't get flanked or overrun...the new Heatsink-patch looks to allow you to rain even more explosive-insanity on your targets after the overheating has been reduced on the starting weapons.  I find it's best to turtle when you are able to get your back to a wall in a narrow passage where you know the enemy is at the opposite end and around a corner.  Don't bother turtling when you're on the run and decide to turn and fight to the bitter-end, the added weapon-damage won't matter if they connect more shots...make use of what mobility you have to keep dropping grenades where your enemy plans to pass through as you're fleeing and force them to re-think their plan to kill you, or even the tables when they get their smouldering carcass in LOS to even think of returning fire.

• Team Role - This mech is an area-control/denial-focused mech...as a noob, you will do best staying close to your team...when you've got the HC to buy the internals, you can start venturing closer to the front lines and setup shop in places that the enemy will find extremely inconvenient.  In general, you're going to die A LOT if the enemy surrounds you or gets in close...your weapons don't work to your favor at close range where you'll get hurt from your own blasts.  If you're operating behind enemy lines, keep on the move...turtle-->barrage-->run to new spot-->turtle again-->barrage more.  Putting points into walking speed and boosting where necessary will keep you out of people's attention...focus on attacking distracted, clustered enemy and only sustain your barrage when you've got your teammates imposing a front-line ahead of you.

• Internals & Equipment - Explosive munitions, Repair, Thrusters>Fuel Generator.  It's better to move faster when you need to than to simply boost for longer periods of time...sometimes you need to walk rather than boost to stay off of people's radar anyway.  The explosive munitions is a no-brainer...you've got plenty of armor as it is, take the added damage buff and massacre the weak when you lay into them...but after the Heatsink-patch, the improved loader may be a better choice if you can fire off a few more grenades more quickly, particularly after the heat-reduction to the GL and Rev-GL...thereby negating the 7% damage buff by adding n+ more grenades that might impact.

• Offensive Items - Stay with the HE-Charge...it's a more powerful 3rd grenade...when you get good at landing your GL on targets, you can double-up with the HE for added fun...it's slow, but it's more powerful and has better splash than even the GL...it's a great way to discourage a pursuer that's trying to close the distance.  Avoid the temptation to buy the Detonator, it's not for you.  You may find value with the EMP to support your team...but focus on landing grenades consistently FIRST

• Final Thoughts - Most importantly: DON'T MISS

Edited by GodsHolyMember, June 18 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#7 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 18 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostGodsHolyMember, on June 18 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

A decent guide, but I think you need to educate yourself on the internals because you're completely ignoring opportunities like a 7% damage buff for only -3.5% reduction in total armor with Explosive Munitions.  Not to mention the mobility modifications like Boosters/Fuel Gen

Here's my $0.02

Grenadier:
1. Strategy - You're not a LOS fighter...you do a disservice to yourself trying to rock the Detonator and the Heat.  Stick with Rev-GL and switch to EoC when you get to lvl 25.  Let the A-Class Infiltrator use the Heat, they have the mobility and small hitbox necessary to risk exposing themselves to direct fire.  Heat is fine on Grenadier if you're not playing seriously, but you'll just get chewed up by Sharps and Reapers that have better range.

5. Internals & Items - Internals/Items to buy: Explosive munitions, Repair, Thrusters>Fuel Generator.  It's better to move faster when you need to than to simply boost for longer periods of time...sometimes you need to walk rather than boost to stay off of people's radar anyway.  The explosive munitions is a no-brainer...you've got plenty of armor as it is, take the added damage buff and massacre the weak when you lay into them...but after the Heatsink-patch, the improved loader may be a better choice if you can fire off a few more grenades more quickly, particularly after the heat-reduction to the GL and Rev-GL...thereby negating the 7% damage buff by adding n+ more grenades that might impact.  Avoid the temptation to use the Detonator, it's not for you.  You may find value with the EMP to support your team...but focus on landing grenades consistently FIRST

good post, some points though.
1. gren's prestige is the vulcan, no eoc.
5. fuel generator > thrusters -- dodge all day, best for peek-a-boo.  true grens don't run to or from fights.

#8 DOS4GW

DOS4GW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 05:01 PM

Great guide, Yaie! However, I'd like to comment on this:

View PostYaie, on June 18 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

If you're fighting an A-Class, restrain your inner demon and wait until they dodge to launch your grenades.

View PostSilverfire, on June 18 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANTEST TIP FOR GRENADIER: You mentioned it, but I want to emphasize it.  WAIT for the enemy mech to dodge before firing! You maximize damage better that way.  Instinctively, you just wanna fire all blind and hope you hit, but I've gotten killed more times than wildly firing working.

Waiting for an enemy to dodge is often not enough. Grenades are slow, and there are plenty of tricks an A mech can do post-dodge to avoid them. Instead, I fire where my opponent will be, and have them jet into my grenades. How do you know where that is_ Well, a combination of intuition, good knowledge of how each class typically moves during an engagement, and the influence of your fire.

Here's an example of how I might fire during an engagement:

Posted Image
Firing your Rev, then GL, then Rev gives you the quickest succession of fire possible- take advantage of it. Puny little A mech is walking to the left. I fire my first Rev over his left shoulder. Best case scenario, he walks into it and takes damage, but it may miss. In any case, he probably assumes that further fire will be coming in that direction, and that dashing to his right will be the best option due to the Grenadier's slow turning speed.

And he'd be right, if I hadn't began turning to my left immediately after firing the first Rev. I fire my GL round into the area about 2/3 from where I predict he will dash to, and fire my second Rev at the place where his dash will end.

He dashes, and I detonate my GL as he passes through the 2/3 area. Whether I'm early or late on the detonation, I will still get some splash. In this way, you use the dodge against them; in a sense, the quick movement doubles his hitbox. And at the end of the dash, he'll either get my final Rev to the face or a bit of splash if I bounced it.

Often I'll hold off on the last Rev until after the end of the dash; it's usually quick enough, especially at close range. Choosing whether to go for a direct shot or a bounce is dependent on timing or/and the situation.

This was just an example. Though I use this trick often, it is not intended to be a "play" so much but to illustrate how I think an effective Grenadier should fight.

Edit because grammar.

Edited by DOS4GW, June 18 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#9 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 05:07 PM

That's what I meant when I said to wait for the enemy to dodge, haha.  You want to see where they're going and catch them there, except you said it in far better words than I. :)  Except it starts getting a little tricky when you're moving at the same time.  I avoid standing still as much as I can in CQC because a still mech is a dead one, especially up close when you can get easily teamed.  All in all, the Grenadier is one heckuva mech to master, but when you do, it's sooooo worth it!

Posted Image

Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#10 GodsHolyMember

GodsHolyMember

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postphed, on June 18 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostGodsHolyMember, on June 18 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Here's my $0.02

Grenadier:
1. Strategy - You're not a LOS fighter...you do a disservice to yourself trying to rock the Detonator and the Heat.  Stick with Rev-GL and switch to EoC when you get to lvl 25.  Let the A-Class Infiltrator use the Heat, they have the mobility and small hitbox necessary to risk exposing themselves to direct fire.  Heat is fine on Grenadier if you're not playing seriously, but you'll just get chewed up by Sharps and Reapers that have better range.

5. Internals & Items - Internals/Items to buy: Explosive munitions, Repair, Thrusters>Fuel Generator.  It's better to move faster when you need to than to simply boost for longer periods of time...sometimes you need to walk rather than boost to stay off of people's radar anyway.  The explosive munitions is a no-brainer...you've got plenty of armor as it is, take the added damage buff and massacre the weak when you lay into them...but after the Heatsink-patch, the improved loader may be a better choice if you can fire off a few more grenades more quickly, particularly after the heat-reduction to the GL and Rev-GL...thereby negating the 7% damage buff by adding n+ more grenades that might impact.  Avoid the temptation to use the Detonator, it's not for you.  You may find value with the EMP to support your team...but focus on landing grenades consistently FIRST

good post, some points though.
1. gren's prestige is the vulcan, no eoc.
5. fuel generator > thrusters -- dodge all day, best for peek-a-boo.  true grens don't run to or from fights.

1. Ugh, thanks for the catch...I totally zoned on Grenadier and thought they got the EoC as well...corrected my earlier post...it didn't have any bearing on my points, but still, no reason for me to be inaccurate

5. Doesn't the thruster internal also improve your jink left/right ability_  If not, perhaps I need to rethink this...I thought that I saw a noticable improvement to my dodging speed.  I prefer being able to get in and out as quick as I can rather than have enough fuel for maybe 1 or 2 more jinks given that's all the generator is going to allow for when you're in the midst of a fight and repeatedly dodging.  I would think it would be better to guarantee I quickly get out of the way of a TOW/Hellfire or out of view of a Sharp/Reaper in the midst of reloading than to take another hit in mid-stride because I can't jink fast enough

#11 phed

phed

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:01 PM

since i've started putting the generator on my mechs i haven't run out of fuel playing peekaboo, before i was always finding myself overextended with no fuel to get back into hiding.  this was especially problematic on my inf and reaper, though i liked the frenetic open field scout dodging it allowed, without the fuel cusion, it spelled death too often.

hence i only put thrusters on my scouts now.  all others get generators...  i feel like i'm repeating my self...

#12 angryhampster

angryhampster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts
Posted June 18 2013 - 08:30 PM

please.....no more grenadiers....  i hate facing against them.
    --[font=arial, sans-serif](◕_◕)    [/font]
Posted Image

#13 Scroticus42

Scroticus42

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thank you kind sirs!  Some of that stuff I had kinda figured out on my own through much error, but I'm glad someone took the time to make a thread like this as I'm not really "good" enough to warrant making one when I wanted to.  Ain't nobody got time to listen to a 1650 player.

Edited by Scroticus42, June 18 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#14 Command0Dude

Command0Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:29 PM

I won't go over ability, because all of the C-Class' abilities are hindrances to them.

Untrue. Brawler's turret mode is excellent for holding points in Siege and MA. Grenadier's turret mode will melt mechs at close range. I often turret in Grenadier during siege and excel at holding point, because people make the mistake of trying to trade blows with me.

#15 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostCommand0Dude, on June 18 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

I won't go over ability, because all of the C-Class' abilities are hindrances to them.

Untrue. Brawler's turret mode is excellent for holding points in Siege and MA. Grenadier's turret mode will melt mechs at close range. I often turret in Grenadier during siege and excel at holding point, because people make the mistake of trying to trade blows with me.
Maybe against bad players, but using any turret mode in higher ranked matches is damn near suicide.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#16 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:27 AM

Grenadier is one of those novelty mechs that almost no one uses because it's a very tricky machine to handle. Yes, it does have an amazing DPS rate and a pretty large armor/healthpool but like other C Classes, it's huge and slow, plus you have to learn how to angle, bounce, and arc your shots correctly instead of just aiming directly at the enemy. I rarely face good Grenadier users but whenever I do, I try my best to avoid facing them in 1on1 situations. It's very hard to outlast them in a DPS race if you're using a puny A Class in an open field and it's even worse facing them around tight spaces and corners if they know how to angle their shots correctly.

Posted Image

#17 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted June 19 2013 - 02:26 AM

Here's a good tactic for the Grenadier:

Get the Shield, yes I know it's a cheap move at the moment, but it was a good tactic even before.
You won't belive how many ignorant A team mechs are going to just charge into your shield to try and take you out, that's when you strike.
RevGL + GL + HE Charge to the face and you preety much halved an A team mech's health. It can be a usefull tactic if the enemy gets greedy, but it won't work everytime, it depends on the health ration of your enemy and yourself and if the enemy is stupid enough to charge in. It's a good tactic for a new Grenbaby pilot.

Get your hard on.

#18 Rahh_Vende

Rahh_Vende

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationPirun rantasaunassa Tuonenvirran varrella, ylimmillä lauteilla. Alasti prkl!

Posted June 19 2013 - 03:08 AM

One point about the REV_GL I didn't see there: If (and when) you find yourself going against A-Class in CQC, you might want to train placing your REV shots into the ground between you and target so they bounce toward enemy. With a little practise it's pretty easy to get the range correct so you get constant airburst damage with missed shots. And let's be honest, there will be missed shots.. :D This is how I handle A-Classes with great success rate. When you get it right, hits hit and misses detonate just behind enemies, and you've discovered a whole new dimension on CQC domination with your Gren.

As for optimizations, I go for speed. Leftovers go to defense. Almost exactly like Saturnine's Brawler optimizations above there.

For internals I'd suggest Spec.Loader -> Rep.Kit/Reinf.Armor(the 5% armor boost can be a lifesaver, and the 3.5% damage debuff isn't that big of a deal imo) -> !!Fuel Gen!! C's don't boost that fast even with the thruster boost, but what they do is run out of fuel, especially when you end up close and have to dodge a lot, or do fast paced peekabooing.

Edited by Rahh_Vende, June 19 2013 - 03:10 AM.

Posted Image

#19 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted June 19 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostRahh_Vende, on June 19 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

For internals I'd suggest Spec.Loader -> Rep.Kit/Reinf.Armor(the 5% armor boost can be a lifesaver, and the 3.5% damage debuff isn't that big of a deal imo) -> !!Fuel Gen!! C's don't boost that fast even with the thruster boost, but what they do is run out of fuel, especially when you end up close and have to dodge a lot, or do fast paced peekabooing.

Or you can go full damage mode with the Armour Piercing Ammunitions, Repair Kit and Fuel Generator. Nothing makes A classes running like a shower or devestating RevGL nades. And if you can turtle up, you can do some serious damage, but that only works with teammates keeping your enemies busy.

Get your hard on.

#20 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostxXHadroncutterXx, on June 19 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

View PostRahh_Vende, on June 19 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Or you can go full damage mode with the Armour Piercing Ammunitions, Repair Kit and Fuel Generator. Nothing makes A classes running like a shower or devestating RevGL nades. And if you can turtle up, you can do some serious damage, but that only works with teammates keeping your enemies busy.

Don't you mean explosive munitions_ I personally run Explosive Munitions, Repair Kit, Fuel Generator. It's much better as you feel a very noticeable increase in the amount of damage you deal. repair kit is pretty self explanatory, but I feel its a tossup between fuel generator or thrusters. It depends on what you prefer, and either is good for the Grenadier.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users