HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Ultimate Predator Guide!

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#1 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 03:43 AM

A comprehensive guide written by me and Meraple. I have taken exerts from his guide into mine and have his permission to do so. To me there isn't anything largely wrong with predator only that it's combat style is quite different. I hope you enjoy reading this and that you can take something away from it and learn a new thing.

If you prefer a basic guide for advice on How to kill a Predator mech or How to use it in team based games, take a look at KilleR_OrigiNs guide, short but informative giving you a simpler perspective. https://community.pl...ith-a-predator/

Contents:
Stealth, Awareness, Heat Vision, Movement, Side Boosting, Positioning, Cover, Opportunities, Patience, Weapons, Usage, Overheating, Items, Internals, Play Styles, Builds & Setups, Nemesis, Strategy, Tactics, Trap Setting, 1v1 / 2v1, Ambush, Alpha Strike, Frontline Play, Baiting / Retreat, Long/ Mid-Ranged Combat, CQC, Peek a Boo and Overall Tips.

Predator

Stealth
Don't always use stealth when in combat if it’s charged, after stealth gets take down the cool down is 15 seconds. Don't feel it necessary to use it for the littlest of engagements so, a good tip is to leave your stealth for after fights and you have healed up, because then you can get back into stealth quicker. If you repair while stealth is active it goes and you'll be left waiting. It can even save your life if low on HP and the person is trying to find you, while in stealth predator can now walk at 21.5 m/s so walk to cover or a corner and wait until they go, to then repair. As a result you will score higher in K/D's.

Soft/ Hard Cool Downs
Soft Cool Down is when you are in stealth and can do everything but take any damage. Stealth will re-engage after 02 seconds.
Hard Cool Down is when you are in stealth and take damage from targets and from self. Stealth will re-engage after 15 seconds.

Awareness
Any player should be aware of his surroundings more so in predator. Use radar and your heat vision to stay ahead of your enemy and intercept them where possible. Use your vision to see past cosmetics and view their weaponry. I once met a predator with hell missiles lol. Also note that if you see more than 1 opponent on radar, remember you can only focus on 1 mech at a time. Either kill the mech your fighting and die in the process or retreat before the others get to close to you.

Heat Vision
Heat vision allows you to see a mechs heat signature this also applies to any mech using stealth, as Predators stealth ability only bends light and not heat. You have greater awareness than your opponents and team mates to a certain degree using heat vision. Use it to get out of bad situations and warn teammates about hidden dangers. With heat vision I used it to previously avoid certain mechs or pilots, what foes to not fight etc. Another way I use heat vision to my advantage is to avoid getting hit by enemy fire (i.e. cover) as I can see which direction they are facing and remain in stealth as long as possible, with time the enemy will either overheat, land from flying too much or think I've vanished, all of these are to your advantage.

Movement
Your movement should vary depending on the situation; standing can be just as effective as moving. Don't be scared to boost while in stealth, just time yourself to get back into stealth near enemies before they spot you is just as good. They will see you on their radar due to your boost, but can't seem to pin point your location, this can leave your enemies a bit tense (on edge), knowing that you could be near them. Also try not to jump in the air in front of other mechs like assaults, infiltrators, berserkers is an even worse idea, you might lose the battle due to missed shots or not having AC attached.

Side Boosting
This can be incorporated into movement, side boosting with forward boosting is also a method that can further extend your fuel tank, in most cases doubling the distance traveled. Side boosting is much faster than walking places in-game. It does however have it's disadvantages, now showing you up on radar when using it. It's best to go from side to side when doing this unless your hugging a wall. Don't use this too often during battles unless you have a radar scrambler. It is now far better to simply walk around while in stealth mode as your walking speed has been raised to 21.5 m/s.

Positioning
If you see targets, position yourself so that you’re not directly facing them. If you are in front of an enemy try not to get hit by using cover or peekaboo tactics. It's best to either position yourself behind objects, obstacles, behind them, under them, over them or to their side whichever, just never in front unless you are going in too assault or defend against.

For example, if you saw a berserker or rocketeer and was face hugging you, you can just engage them, cause they may have engaged you by now and you would have the advantage of health over A's or the damage over C's just be careful with the C mech that has the Flak Cannon, it is so brutal. Remember to position yourself before engaging a target.

Cover
Position yourself when using cover. Your best asset is cover & stealth, you need it more than any other mech in the game, even more so than the technician. Use cover well and don't stay in the open too long or your dead. Learn every map if you plan to use predator, learn the shadows etc, think of an escape plan when using cover. If I use cover "a" can I successfully get to cover "b" without being noticed_ Could I also do that while hitting my target_

Predator is a brilliant burst type mech imo and when used with cover effectively, there are times when I take no damage or I'm hardly ever spotted. I have learned to use cover very well, there are times when I don't even bother placing 2-3 pucks around a corner anymore. This is covered in the tactic section of the guide.

Instead after turning a corner or popping out from cover I fire a Puck + Flak at my pursuer or target. What that does is effectively "reduces your presence" and keeps you more stealthy, until the last possible second. You also avoid alerting other enemies and do more damage in the process, then start to use pucks around corners as you begin to bait them.

Opportunities
Look out for opportunities with your visual prowess. If you spot an enemy alone, repairing, standing still for too long, an injured or fleeing mech, always be on the lookout because you'll want to capitalize up on them. Note: if your going after a wounded or a repairing mech, if your not close enough they can be fully repaired by the time you get to them, be careful.

Patience
Many times, even when we have positioned ourselves the opportunity has either;

1) moved on or away
2) difficulties have come up
3) you need to wait some more
4) or get/ find another opportunity

Sometimes a little practice of patience can help a lot, to make you think more clearly about the outcome of any situation. 1 example could be that you're positioned well but your target is not in the position you want them to be in. Maybe it’s waiting for that heavy mech to turn its back to you. So exercise patience and observe before committing. Sometimes I attack 1 person and find a 2nd person who I didn't notice show up on radar or visually and is attacking my side.

Weapons - Contributed by Meraple
Breacher:
A very hard hitting hit-scan shotgun if you tap it or a charge-up single-shot projectile weapon if you hold for 2seconds. The FLAK mode does more damage at 144, and has very little spread, making it useful for close- to mid-range combat. However, I'd recommend using the slug shot mode first as your first shot, the second flak shot will be 1 second faster after that instead of the full 2 seconds, this is called the Double-Shot. The charged shot does less dmg but is more accurate over longer distance and does 100 dmg. Personally this is the best weapon for me at the moment.

Things to note about the breacher.
- It can pass through Shields and Blockades. Also note, that the closer you are, the greater the damage dealt through defensive items. The further the less damage you will be able to do.
- The charge-up mode does a minimal damage of 35 at longer ranges. I'd recommend using it for either first shots, or when you need to get some precise shots off.
- Has a rather long refiring rate for a Primary weapon. Might be difficult to use because of that, but not impossible to manage either. Just remember to not spam away, every shot counts!
- As mentioned, if you use the charge-up mode first, the next FLAK shot will be off cool down sooner. This is known as the double shot. However the heat generated from this double shot is the same without.
- All fully charged shots deal 100 dmg, anything not a full charge does 144, this includes any and all semi charged shots will do 144 damage, but will have a reduced spread when fired.
- It makes a lot of noise when you charge it up, even when cloaked people will hear it; it could alert enemies to your presence, as the Predator is the only mech with the Breacher available to it.
- The breacher takes longer to over heat than the T-32 at 14.286.
- The heat from either flak or charged is the same for both.
- Has the highest spread of all 3 weapons at 14.

T32-BOLT:
I would not recommend this weapon imo, unless you only fight or finish off people on low health.
- Does decent damage when charged up at 120. Always charge your T-32 as the heat is the same.
- Does zero-to-none damage when past mid-range. This weapons is very close quarter orientated. The recent buff has made this weapon more viable to use against other weapon types.
- Requires Failsafe to be attached to internals for pucks to be double effective with the T32 in any cqc situation.
- More Heat is generated and when spamming takes 11.538 seconds to overheat solo.
- Highest dps of all 3 weapons at 100 dps.
- Has the 2nd shortest fall off of all 3 weapons.
- Spread is 2nd lowest at 8.

EOC Repeater:
- Hard to hit with due to the slow muzzle velocity, but does large amounts of damage when all 6 EOC pucks hit (156 dmg).
- Fully charging the EOC gives it more DPS though at 56.216 DPS vs 52 non charged.
- Takes a long time to over heat, taking 75 seconds. But it builds up a lot of heat when spamming with the EOC P. I'd recommend charging it up until you're sure you can hit with it. If you're always sure you're going to hit, go spam away.
- Can be used to place a lot of mines on the battlefield. Hard to use though, and in solo encounters this weapon is best used defensively on the predator, indirectly causing damage over time.
- Has no spread at all when using this weapon.
- Though has the shortest fall off of all 3 weapons.

EOC Predator:
A very good weapon, but hard to use due to it's sustained fire nature and slow muzzle velocity. However, it has a huge AOE, this makes it very useful against A classes. When an enemy is boosting away from you, aim and fire where the enemy "will be", rather then fire at his current position. I've killed tons upon tons of people trying to run away like this.

When losing a fight, go around a corner and put some EOC pucks on the floor. If the enemy hovers over them, detonate them manually, as they will probably still do some damage. This can easily turn the tide of the battle.

Firing the EOC P from a higher height to your target is also advantageous to you, as the pucks will land nearer your target. You also don't need to feel like you need to be setting up traps in every game. Just cause of the EOC P's function is to lay traps does not mean it has to be used in that manner 100% of the time. Most games I don't even bother using it for that purpose, but to actually assault people with it. If you read on further in the guide I explain how that is done.

Note 1: The AOE explosion actually travels upwards than outwards, keep this in mind when trying to attack opponents that are higher than you as the pucks could land vertically and when detonated, would explode away from them, dealing small to zero damage. So AOE travels upwards, this helps for those jumping over your traps and in the recent patch the upward AOE got a slight increase making flying over mines more hazardous, though manual detonation is still required.

Note 2: A full 8 Puck Trap will now only do 60 damage each, resulting in 480 damage dealt, and not 500 as this was recently changed to make predator more viable. Also note, that someone could boost through an 8 Puck Trap and receive 20% less damage if they had deflectors equipped. The new resulting damage would be 384 instead of 480.

Note 3: Pucks that get a "direct hit" actually do more damage. They now do 60 damage than 55. 55 is for all hits that are not direct hits, so any indirect hit is now worth 55 damage and even pucks that are detonated close to target also do 55, but this depends how close you are to the pucks effective range / radius. The smallest amount of damage does near 30.

Usage
You should never spam your weapons due to the heat generated. Always lead with either a puck or a charged breacher. You will be able to shoot the breacher a bit faster on the next shot due to a shorter reload time. Hit mechs with the EOC Predator (puck) and when they dodge and stop moving shot them again with your breacher or repeater.

Take note of this paragraph below, it is very important!
When in combat I do a 1-2 combo of Puck first then (0.50secs later) the Charged Breacher when side boosting. This allows the puck to land right after the breacher does in "cqc", so you have a better chance at doing more damage "in bursts". If it is a fight that is "cqc" then I do less charging of the breacher, as it does more dmg that way but I won't release it until it's on target.

Overheating
You need to be watching over the heat and how you deal with it, EMP your enemy for example or simply dance around the mech, object or cover. Whether you reposition yourself around a corner, waiting for your enemy or simply retreat all the way back to a safe place, to even repair can help or just don't fire for 3 seconds to reset the heat before you wait longer overheating yourself.

Items + Application - Contributed by Meraple
Repair Charge:
A very useful defensive/support item, especially when combined with one of the Extractor internals. When losing a fight, just go around a corner and drop it. You'll heal up rather fast. Also useful if you think that normal repairing is too slow, and you're not using one of the Reconstructor internals. Takes 2 seconds to activate.

You can also use it to heal up allies, like Fortressed fatties who're taking a pounding. They'll be thankful for it; it might even save their lives. It's useful when fighting in open terrain too; just drop it, and try to stay near it as much as possible, while still dodging incoming enemy fire. I'd recommend popping it around a corner, especially due to the low HP of the Pred. Sometimes however, that just isn't possible sadly.

Detonator:
Basically a small pocket TOW. I personally use the MK3 version, as the added firepower helps in close fights, and it also helps with finishing off low-HP enemies due to the big AOE. It only does around 60 damage though, so the Repair Charge might be a better choice, but a great item for initiating Alpha Strikes on Foes.

HE Charge:
Basically a small pocket Grenade Launcher. It does 5 more damage than the Detonator, but has a downwards arc, and can be charged up to throw it further away. I personally prefer the Detonator due to it's ease of use. If you don't mind the extra effort though, this one's definitely better as it can bounce once before exploding.

Radar Scrambler:
Can be used offensively to help conceal your location when trying to confuse the enemy, hitting him from every angle behind cover. I use this item to great effect when not doing any boosting and using single hits repeatedly to get the upper hand, on health. It can also be used defensively, to help your teammates to get away as well. The scrambler does have a short radius but it can help you too boost away momentarily to get away and heal. Though not always unscathed.

EMP:
It helps a bit if you can aim it, as it's a bit hard to aim, and you can't air burst it. Useful if you need a little bit more time to kill the enemy. You can use it to run away too. If there's an enemy in your face while you're running away, you could EMP both of you in the face. This could save your life if your team's nearby, ready to help you. Also a lot of fun if you like being a total d*ck.

ISM Disruptor:
The visual disruption this item causes is not that effective and it doesn't last very long either. Fun to throw around in the playing pen though. This item is even more ineffective against cloaked predators.

Shield:
A pretty useful item, as your Breacher can shoot through it, but most enemies won't be able to and on top of that, you can use it to lay mines. When an enemy approaches, back out of the shield to avoid the AOE of the mines, and watch explosions happening.

Of course it has other uses too, like retreating, although the Barrier is better for that.

Some other rather unorthodox, but effective tactics:
Cloak, and put it on an enemy that's dealing tons of damage to your team, or one that only has explosive weaponry, like the Grenadier. This will make him output no damage AT ALL as long as the shield sticks to him. And, explosive weaponry will only damage himself.

You can use it in 1v1 fights as well; put it on the enemy, and then use the Breacher to poke him. It's incredibly annoying if somebody does this to you, I could imagine. I've never seen it done in actual play though, as sticking a shield to somebody is pretty hard. This is more effective then just popping a shield onto the ground. It's alot harder too, though.

Sticking it to a dying, Fortressed allied C class can save his live. This can count in close matches. Of course you can stick it to people just for them lolz, but it's a rather d*ck move, as you can't shoot out of it.

You can use the Shield to stay hidden as well; cloaking INSIDE a shield will make you harder to spot. If you're in the middle of an open field, and there are enemies around the corner, just pop up a shield and stand inside of it. They usually just walk past you, if they don't get inside. I'd recommend putting it up right against a wall, as they are less likely to use it as cover that way.

Barrier:
Probably the best item, together with the EMP for being an *sshole. You can use it to block people, cage them in a corner they can't fly out of, etc. In all seriousness though, it's a fantastic item when retreating. Nothing can pass through it, though the Breacher is the only exception. You can pop it in front of low-HP C classes too when they're dying.

If a good person in the enemy team is healing in a corner, and is almost at full HP, try blocking him into the corner with the Barrier. This way, he won't be able to participate in the fight, giving your team a huge advantage. After you've won the fight, you can just kill him. You can use it to hide yourself as well, just like the Shield. However, because Barriers have a short life-span, enemies can easily presume there's somebody near. I do not advice using it like this, but maybe it'll save your life some of the time.

Hologram:
A sadly underused item among Pred players. Can be used while retreating, although the Barrier's way superior if you use it like that. It's the most useful if the enemy is using burst weaponry; You could pop it down somewhere and be nearby. When an enemy with only burst weaponry comes, like the Scout or Brawler, they'll waste their first burst, with most likely both of their weapons, on the Hologram. That's your time to strike; both of their weapons are on cool down, and they've already built up some heat. If you like bullying people you could even EMP them.

Internals - Contributed by Meraple
Anything you feel is optimal is optimal for your play style. For my current build I'm using Air Compressor, Deflectors and Basic Reconstructor, but on my previous build I used to sport Deflectors, Failsafe, Shock Coil & Basic Reconstructor.

Air Compressor:
The AC is just personal taste; I love using it, even on my Tech and C classes. It helps when in combat, because people won't expect an AC on a Pred. That and aerial manoeuvres help against people who spam mines on the ground. Vertical movement is also disorientating to some people, and can cause confusion among others. And on top of that, usually you only dodge horizontally; people won't expect a Pred to take to the skies. Also while in the air, it helps to place the pucks nearer to the target, as it's on a vertical decline, rather than straight horizontal.

Deflector:
To me, it's simply a must-have on EVERY mech in the game. Since you dodge around a lot it really helps. Even boosting into a TOW instead of taking it in your unmoving face when there is no space to dodge helps. 20% reduction in damage when boosting, dodging and this also includes air dodging. I recently tested this out with LEmental help.

Basic / Failsafe:
This internal now only negates 20% / 40% of self damage from your AOE attacks. Though this item isn't necessary it does help when trying to pull off alpha strikes at close proximity to your target. Where you just spam detonators and pucks to destroy your enemy or to stop your own trap from wrecking your mech due to an allied or enemy tow etc.

Basic / Advanced Reconstructor:
Basically a repair drone that can repair, while you are cloaked. It also doesn't make any sound and you can move around while it's healing you. You have to be out of combat for 10 seconds though before it activates. It's only useful for certain play styles, like stealthy game play. It's not very effective for mine, as I am in combat most of the time with very little time in between.

Other good internals:
Basic Extractor:
If you don't have the space for either of the Reconstructors, or you simply want to be able to heal faster while in combat using Orbs, this is definitely the internal for you. Don't just stand on an Orb while in combat though; move around a bit, but keep close enough to the Orb so that it can heal you.

I personally really like it on my Vanguard. Why_ Every time I'm low on HP I go around a corner, go into D.E.R.P. mode and drop an Orb. With the 55% damage reduction PLUS 15% additional heal, you'll have a very good chance at killing a 3/4th HP Assault before it kills you. But this is not about the Vanguard. It's about the Predator!

Advanced Armor Fusor:
To me, it just heals too slowly after killing somebody. Especially for a low-HP B mech. I would highly recommend getting one of the Extractor Internals over this one. Not only do they cost less slots, they make you heal faster when using Orbs. Overall it's a fuzzy bunny internal, but it helps the predator be constantly topped up on health due to kill stealing.

Shock Coil:
It allows you to drop from high cliffs and still be able to remain cloaked. It allows you to escape faster without losing HP or fuel, as you normally have to boost a bit before landing in order to take no fall damage. You can however, make the boost almost unnoticeable if you use an air dodge before landing, shows up as a blip but this'll depend on who's around / near you.

Due to the recent changes made to predator, me and a few others were beginning to experiment with the speed internals due to the speed increase predator has gained through walking. We thought we test this build out and see its results.

Evasive Device: This internals allows you to gain a 15% boost in speed when under 25% health and a 10% boost when under 50% health. During my time using this item without deflectors proved fatal, the benefits of the speed gained did not outweigh the loss of the Deflectors in anyway. If your going to use this internal make sure to have Deflector also.

Basic / Power Surger: allows for a 25% boost in speed with every kill made whether by a full battle or a quick kill steal. This also works in conjunction with stealth mode for a speedy transition across the map, without boosting! Above all else this internals is used to allow for quick position or re-positioning. In which case quite useful to have.

Play Styles - Contributed by Meraple

Roles best suited for which weapons.
T32-BOLT = Assassin. Game play video coming soon.
Breacher = Aggressor. Game play video available to view.
EOC Repeater = Corner Play. Game play video available to view.

Assassin
Killing low health, repairing, running or fighting mechs that you can easily kill 1v1. Taking down smaller, easier-to-kill prey is preferred, as it can go smoothly and quickly and on top of that, if you 1-hit people with Alpha-strikes, the rest of the enemy team might not even notice. This allows you to pick them off one by one, eventually allowing your team to make a big push, annihilating them all. Why does this style help the team alot_ The team only needs to damage the enemy, and you will be the one to take care of the rest. If the teams are about even, this will sway the tide/ balance.

Recommended Internals include: Power Surger, Evasive Device (You may be lower HP, but you get to your prey faster. Risk / Reward), with Shock Coil or Basic Deflector and Basic Reconstructor also.
Recommended Items include: EMP, ISM, Radar Scrambler, Detonator, HE Charge.

Aggressor
This is an even more aggressive, combat version of the Assassin play style. Try not to engage full-HP enemies, unless you can secure an Alpha Strike on them. Using an Air Compressor will allow you to play to this style quite aggressively in combat. However, fuel will be a problem if you choose Deflector over Fuel Converter.

If you see a Technician, take them down from behind using an alpha strike. It's going to be a huge pain in the smoke vent if you let it live. Not only for you, but for your team as well, if you need to sacrifice your life in order to do so, do it. Though, think first if it a smart thing to do for the good of the team.

Recommended Internals include: Having an Air Compressor, Deflector / Fuel Converter & Basic Failsafe / Basic Fuel Converter.
Recommended Items include: Detonators, HE Charges, EMP.

Corner Play
This style is complimented well with dual EOC weaponry. The mines allow you to fire where the enemy will be, instead of where they currently are. This allows you to fire before they come around the corner, thus giving you a huge advantage over enemies who have projectile / hit-scan weaponry. It's hard to aim both of the EOC weapons at an enemy in a direct 1v1, so unless you're confident of your skills at aiming, I would not advice going into a 1v1 skirmish.

Some tips include: aiming at their feet or at the ground where they will be, rather than trying to make direct hits if you're having trouble hitting them directly. Try to kill retreating enemies by shooting where they will be or aim straight at a stationary target. This can be very annoying to most people.

Shooting mines all over the battlefield can help alot in team engagements. They'll have to focus on landing hits, dodging, and dodging your mines lol. This is very difficult for most people to deal with. Some people will try to fly but again you can fire mines where they will eventually land. This makes them sitting ducks unless they are a Berserker or have Air Compressor attached.

Recommended Internals include: Evasive Device, Basic / Deflectors, Power Surger, Basic / Fail Safe, or Basic Fuel Converter.
Recommended Items include: Detonator, HE Charge, EMP, ISM, Radar Scrambler / Scanner.

In reading all this please keep in mind, just because you use the Breacher doesn't mean you can't do Corner Play and just because you use the EOC R doesn't mean that you can't do 1v1. I stated the roles for which the weapons are best suited. That they're best for those situations does not mean they're only usable for those situations. Predator's a flexible mech, remember that!

Builds & Setups
Name: Scavenger
Description: Out to get strays, kill stealing is the game.
Weapon of Choice: Breacher.
Item setup: Scanner MK_ + Radar Scrambler MK_
Internal setup: Deflector, Adv / Armor Fusor, Basic / Power Surger.
Plays for a very passive play style, it is to stay behind shadows and corners looking for easy targets and easy kills. The combination of its internals help it to stay alive longer and be on the move constantly while cloaked. Stealth and Accuracy is your forte.

Name: Speedy Pretzel
Description: You want nothing but Speed and out maneuver your prey.
Weapon of Choice: T32-BOLT
Item setup: EMP MK_ + ISM MK_ +  Shield MK_
Internal setup: Basic / Deflector, Power Surger, Evasive Device, optional Basic Reconstructor.
The best mobility setup it can handle. The 35% boost is fairly easy to obtain through most battles than the max 40%, which is more risky due to having low health. The reconstructor allows for low level healing while on the move to the next target.

Boost Speed. @ 30.80 m/s. @ 25% = 38.50 m/s. @ 35% = 41.58 m/s. @ 40% = 43.12 m/s.
Cloak Speed. @ 21.50 m/s. @ 25% = 26.87 m/s. @ 35% = 29.02 m/s. @ 40% = 30.10 m/s.
Walk Speed. @19.50 m/s. @ 25% = 24.37 m/s. @ 35% = 26.32 m/s. @ 40% = 27.30 m/s.

Name: Carnage
Description: Uses corners to inflict indirect dmg to foes and cause carnage.
Weapon of Choice: EOC Repeater.
Item setup: Hologram MK_ +
Internal setup: Advanced Reconstructor, Deflector, Basic Failsafe.
This build is to play very defensively against opponents. Using corner play & using traps is your forte. You will take damage, but leave a trap and re-position, your health will go up fast and in time for the next bout, ding ding!!

Name: Alpha King
Description: Your first to engage and last to lose.
Weapon of Choice: Breacher / EOC R
Items setup: Detonator MK_ + Repair Charge MK_
Internal setup: Deflector, Failsafe, Basic Extractor, Basic Reconstructor.
You are not afraid to get up close and personal with your victims. The Failsafe is necessary to blast mechs in close proximity to deal heavy dmg and survive the initial alpha or even a face hugging contest. You are not afraid, you are fearless.

Name: Yolo Pred
Description: Assaulting other mechs with full force!
Weapon of Choice: Breacher.
Item setup: Detonator MK3 + Repair Charge MK1
Internal setup: Air Compressor, Deflector, Basic Reconstructor.
This allows you to play aggressively and to your strengths. Get the upper hand by alpha striking your foes from stealth and quickly dealing with mech scum with your flak and puck shots while in the air. All other mechs fear your presence!

Nemesis
Basically anything with Hellfire Missiles/ Seeker, Sustain Assaults/ Berserkers (Vulcan+Tow is deadly) or hit scan snipers.

Strategy
Now strategy and tactics are not the same and here is a small definition.

A strategy is a larger, overall plan that can comprise several tactics, which are smaller, focused, less impact-full plans that are part of the overall plan. The strategy is what you make it, i.e. your game plan or game objective etc.

Now my main focus and strategy is to primarily be the K/D Leader of the match and 2nd to be within the top 3 of the team or the match in score. Your strategy is your strategy, and the tactics you use will determine if you fulfill your strategy or not. So a strategy is your main or super objective while using the predator.

Tactics
Now as a predator hunter what you want to avoid is being predictable, let the prey do that so you got to change it up a bit. Whether you are laying traps; going against 2 enemies; ambushing mechs whilst repairing/ wounded/ in a group; going to the front-lines or retreating while baiting. Explanations are below.

Trap Setting
Close Quarter Combat - in CQC under a mechs feet or slightly in front of them and to either side of them is best or around the mechs surroundings is another work around but never above them unless the ceiling is low enough.

Please note that when using traps more often, this will actually hinder your combat capabilities if you try to keep the trap.

Cluster Traps - It's best to group your 8 pucks as close together as possible without detonating them. This reduces its visibility somewhat and gives you 100% damage. Placing them in obvious and not so obvious places, you just have to learn what works and what does not work. You can also place half of the puck into the environment so it's less visible.

I've noticed recently that mines can now be clustered even closer together than previously. It is the nuclei of the pucks that can trigger it to detonate and now you know about it hehe.

There are places where you can lay your mines and have the light be "covered up with texture"; this reduces your traps visibility greatly find such places, cause when you do they are great to use over and over again especially if clustered,

Jump Traps - placing pucks on jump pads is a fun way to troll people, try to place them on the lines to reduce your traps visibility.

Corner Traps - when you are baiting/ retreating away. I usually place 2-3 pucks on the corner or around that corner (on the floor). Usually when someone boosts to my direction, I place a few mines on the floor before they see or get to me and hide behind a corner and let them set it off or remote detonate it myself.

Health Traps - simply placing pucks under health orbs, so if you have this item you can utilize this trap at will. Placing these is just as hard to figure out though and remembering that the repair item is on a timer and will soon disappear leaving your trap exposed. So maybe best to save that orb for yourself and try it on any that are already on the floor.

Hologram Traps - another clever trap is placing pucks on a wall that is obvious but you cover it up with a hologram so they don't see the trap as much or try under the hologram or slightly behind it. Usually people use their primary weapon to shoot which usually are sustain and walk through it so anywhere near the hologram in a tight/ confined area is good.

1v1 / 2v1
If it’s a C class majority of the time, I try sneak up behind them to do most damage, if it’s a fast moving mech 1v1 I shoot pucks to the left and right of them so their dodging is overcome and B classes I just really do my best to survive the fight. I will only engage 2 mechs at the same time, if I've managed to kill 1 off with a trap or they are seriously wounded enough to allow me enough time to take it out and the 2nd mech without overheating too much. Most times, what happens against 2 mechs for me is I injure 1 and go after them with full force get the kill and usually end up dying, but this sadly does not help my strategy though.

Ambush!
If you see a mech that is about to go into repair mode, remember that you can boost right up to them as they cannot see their radar, they are at a disadvantage straight away. Unleash all your fury upon them to take them down. If you can pull off an Alpha Strike in a matter of seconds you can already win the fight overall just cause of the HP advantage. If the person is not repairing then slowly creep up towards them and take them out.

Note: if your too close to the enemy when using items with splash damage (AOE) the 60 damage the detonator could have did, 30 went on yourself because you were too close and it also knocked you out of stealth, so try releasing the item as your approaching the enemy with enough distance to hardly take any damage. If you aim for someone's back, anticipate that they will side dodge.

Alpha Strike
This is another aspect on ambushing. I've noticed that people don't seem to know how to damage people who are repairing without falling victim themselves. You need to know that if you hit a repairing mech with any weapon or item it will allow them to get out of repair faster. What you need to do is, do as much damage as possible from a distance (not too far) in a single moment.

Using your slower weapons first to lead followed by your faster weapons. Use detonator first, the start firing pucks after sending the detonator, as both are approaching the target release your charged breacher shot. This equals to 220 damage with 1 puck or 280 damage with 2 pucks landed. That's almost 300 damage in a duration of less than 2 seconds. If you can pull this off you will be in a much better position to engage the enemy when it comes down to a 1v1.

When I ambush, I try to incorporate the alpha strike technique with a Det 60 + Puck 60 + Flak Breacher 144 at the same time I bust the corner to face them. It does deadly damage in a short space of time, at about 264 damage.

Frontline Play
Depends on the map, to be a front-line predator player, all you got to do is stop enemies flanking or alert your team about it, using the charged breacher while laying pucks on the floor for the enemy to step all over them, so keep firing at the floor. Nabbing kills from the side while your team does the real damage and going behind enemy lines. The Pred is excellent at going behind enemy lines, you can really wreck havoc to teams doing this effectively just don't get spotted, get into a nice spot and fire away or you can play Pred aggressively with full frontal assault with flak, det, puck, emp, etc.

Baiting / Retreat
Best thing for predator to do when faced with a faster or stronger opponent is to retreat. So you retreat behind corners etc, leaving behind pucks for the enemy to run over as they chase you down and even shooting breacher in their face, this helps when getting low on HP. I like to man-oeuvre myself so that I can use a side dodge to escape briefly, then turning back to lay mines on the floor, while always moving backwards, never turn your back to the enemy unless you’re simply outnumbered and you just have to make a run for it as best you can. Baiting involves hitting the enemy to get their attention, and you slowly bait them in closer into your trap or bait them in for a few hits as your retreating backwards, but you can boost to the same effect also.

Long/ Mid-Ranged Combat
Predator isn't really meant for long range combat as such, the breachers damage falls pretty badly in long range engagements. Sure, you can use Breacher for long range but a sniper will usually win on that front, only do this when the enemy is distracted.The predator can be used in this way to damage opponents from afar or outside of the conflict area. Using charged breacher, detonators and pucks to do splash damage on enemies.

This can be helpful in death matches when 3 or 4 mechs are fighting and you’re outside the conflict area, and you pick off the kills of the other people and they are too busy to notice what has just happened. This tactic can be helpful in death-matches as you can pick off kills without too much hassle. And also helpful in sieges, filling the AA area with pucks for enemies to run over.

Close Quarter Combat
In CQC this is how I usually move about, I do a boost forwards, a jump, air dodge, land and dodge, rinse and repeat.
(This movement can almost be said as a box shape x2, so almost a figure 8 type movement by Meraple)
This is so I get the most out of my Deflectors, that give me a 20% damage resistance while boosting and dodging.

How to fight against Fortress modded C classes:
First, get behind their back using your heat vision.

Then unleash hell upon their weak back, with an uncharged Breacher shot, EOC Puck and a Detonator. When the C class is almost facing you, jump and air dodge over him. That way he won't be able to shoot and see you, plus he'll take more damage. When he is almost facing you again, jump over and air dodge again. Rinse and repeat.

As for Lightangel112 in CQC is use the flak shot more than the charged shot because the race is basically over DPS. I like to fly in the air and use AC to dodge of course and with predator's fuel tank you can do about 3 dodges and some hovering. If my enemy is on the floor I will fire both weapons at him regardless of his mobility. The elevation in height allows my pucks to land closer to my enemy will keeping my primary locked on target at all times. As soon as my primary is ready to fire I should be aiming on target. If my opponent is about to land first, I fire and land a combination consisting of a detonator, pucks and a flak shot in their face, a singularity move yet again. The 1 second delay from landing is your key opportunity. The detonator should not be used unless 90% certain that it will definitely make contact or it's wasted as the 7 second reload time seems like a life time.

Peek a Boo
This can be part of ranged combat but just taking poke shots at the enemy in bursts. Using EOC P or Slug Breacher this can be extremely effective over several shots. I use corner play as much as possible, taking health little by little until I've a clear health advantage I can use in CQC. Still using the puck+breacher combo to do 160 dmg in bursts at the optimal range for my weapons.

I use the Air Compressor to facilitate me in doing peek a boo antics. The height again, allows the pucks to land nearer my targets and with AC I can instantly dodge back to cover after firing. This adds to the peek a boo and burst damage. Most times my enemies will never see me or do any damage to my mech, allowing me to remain in stealth. I use heat vision to memorize their "position", ideally they should still be there where you spotted them and fire.

Overall Tips

Sound
Things to note when using the predator are, when in stealth your footsteps can still be heard, so try not to move to fast or do any side dodging, otherwise they will hear you coming from a mile off now.

EOC Alert
Use EOC P in an area you can't see well if about to repair, this weapon can be used as an early warning to an enemy that triggered your mine, and gives you that slight bit advantage to not get caught unawares or to get away safely or to prepare to fight. Note: that firing this weapon makes you very audible to enemies if near by.

Shadows
Using stealth under shadows allows your stealth to improve and the darker the better. Maps like Origin, Wreckage and Uptown, are all really good for predator to utilize shadows.

Wall Hugging
Hugging walls also helps you blend against your background, as the light isn't going through your mech reducing your visibility. If it's a wall you’re against and covered by shadow it is much harder to be spotted out, but you’ll either get away with it on a newbie or not on a pro.

Note: Aim Down!
You can further reduce your visibility by aiming your weapons down to your feet. One of the main reasons you are spotted is due to your weapons poking away from your body. So use shadow, hug a wall and aim your weapons down.

Peripheral Vision
Stay out of a mechs peripheral vision, this will help sneaking up on people as your approaching them, so try to approach them from their side at best. Try to always use cover to hide behind, more so if an enemy thinks he has spotted something, he might decide to fire some rounds your way and spoil the big surprise.

Trap Disarmament
If you see another predator's trap. The best way to disarm it quickly is to place 1 puck in the center of the trap and detonate it. Making sure your some distance away first before detonating or you could get damaged quite badly.

Reinforcements
Press Q always alert your team where the enemy is at, even if it’s one or grouped. At least you can help your team out being in such close proximity to the enemy. You can wait for them to arrive, see the skirmish unfold, wait to see if any injured enemies run away and go after them. You can't do it all by yourself so get others involved. If you end up dying in any situation begin typing to your team mates about the situation or of enemy locations.

Also be aware of your teammate’s health bars, as you have limited radar and visual, this can be a great tool in pin pointing the enemies whereabouts. You become their reinforcements, also monitor how fast your team mates health bar is going down, this can help determine whether it is 1 opponent he was fighting against or 2 or more. At least investigate and see if you can finish off the more injured mech, as I described off in 2v1.

Using Multiple Tactics
During a match I will not use 1 tactic and another tactic during another match. I like to diversify so I'm unpredictable and is more challenging for me, fun and rewarding as a predator player. To the predator player who only lays traps, he will probably always be at the bottom of the team. To the one who only baits, retreats and traps he might get a bit higher, 5th or 4th. So you really got to mix it up during matches, if I have time and I'm alone I lay a few traps here and there, and wait to see if they get triggered, if not I go and ambush a mech. Once that's done and I've repaired I go to the frontlines and support my team and take their kills, simple.

Teamspeak
If you have friends who you play with regularly it is best to join as a party and be communicating on Teamspeak 3. Voice communication allows you to pass on information much faster and more reliably while in combat than typing it out. If you are the predator you have to do a lot of talking back to your team mates and help them overcome the other teams tactics etc.

Game Modes
Now I don't have any tips in this guide for the other game modes if that's what you need I think you should go find other guides that explains them better to you. What I've mentioned here can be incorporated into those game modes. As I've briefly described how 1 aspect of my guide was used in real situations or scenarios.

Lightangel112

PS: if you want coaching or training add me in-game, I live in the UK but I can play on US E and Europe servers.

Edited by Lightangel112, June 16 2014 - 01:55 PM.

View PostMeraple, on June 01 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#2 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 03:52 AM

Guide Videos.

Assassin Play Style using the T-32 Bolt

Aggressor Play Style using the Breacher.

Corner Play Style using the EOC Repeater.

Edited by Lightangel112, June 09 2014 - 04:24 AM.

If you want to be a Professional Yolodriver just go with DETs and the rest EMPs.

#3 LEmental

LEmental

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 04:05 AM

Wonderful guide!

You should remove the section on side boosting (since you can't do that now).

Also other pred players say that the other 2 primaries are viable.  So I think there is some more that you could write about them.  The uncharged breacher shot causes more heat.

I would stress positioning in the guide.  A predator in the open is a dead mech.  They need the cover more than most other mechs do.

Edited by LEmental, April 11 2014 - 04:12 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:38 AM

Guide Videos.

This is my favourite video as it show cases what a predator can do to most B mechs - Assault.

This video also shows what a predator can do to more Assaults lol.

I would like for people who have benefited from reading this guide to post their videos for people to see.

Contribution Videos

xeroslash

xeroslash

Edited by Lightangel112, June 09 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#5 kanamisan

kanamisan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:03 AM

thanks for the guide, I still dont feel that confident in the eoc r yet, but I think starting today I will try runing the pred around to get myself in the habbit of it, that said, do you think it would be worth a bit of effort learning the breacher_ or just sticking with the eoc for better dueling_

#6 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:01 PM

This video show cases elements from the guide put into practice inside Training Mode. It is to demonstrate what the Mech can do to new players using this mech and what can be achieved, and how to effectively use it while in combat.

The guide is up to date. If you find something is not right tell me about it. If you want to ask any questions relating to the predator, feel free to do so. If you feel you want to contribute something to this guide then please by all means do.

Hi kanamisan.
It is up to you what you feel is best for you. For me and majority of pro predator players we feel breacher to be the superior choice in weaponry for the predator. The EOC R is for sure not a hitscan weapon, and does have some travel time. Both require skill and knowledge to use effectively. I don't mind the EOC R tbh, I do like it over T-32 but not over breacher. But it is fun to try it out once in a while. If this is for dueling, and you are having a hard time hitting your mark with the breacher, then by all means use the EOC R. It is a burst damage weapon and can be used in corner play very well.

Edited by Lightangel112, June 09 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#7 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:31 PM

Is there any chance that you'll copy the guide over to Hawken's Steam guide section_ => http://steamcommunit.../271290/guides/

#8 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:34 PM

Glad to see a good amount of tips from everyone put into your guide!  I'm honored to see that you kept some of the tips I told you. XD  Great job Light!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, April 13 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#9 Zycat

Zycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 05:37 PM

TL;DR

I use my pred only in Siege and only in Origin, because setting traps in AA is an easy way to get kills.

And since I'm setting traps most of the time anyway, I like setting up turrets especially rockets.

Edited by Zycat, April 13 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#10 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted April 13 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hawken Top 3 #Predator Pilot

-Kopra

-Torka

-Lightangel112

Edited by AboveTheSky, April 13 2014 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

#11 P3ntatonix3d

P3ntatonix3d

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted April 13 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostZycat, on April 13 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

TL;DR

I use my pred only in Siege and only in Origin, because setting traps in AA is an easy way to get kills.

And since I'm setting traps most of the time anyway, I like setting up turrets especially rockets.
Oh hello there Zycat. I agree, Origin is easy to flank enemies without them noticing.
It's also worth noting that the Blockade Item is also useful.
If I'm low on health, I boost, stop for a sec, place a blockade then quickly boost over it before the blockade finishes setting up. Sometimes I trap myself though and teammates :P but works for 95 % of the time

[font=times new roman,times,serif]Nemesis' are[/font]

SCOUTS

ROCKETEERS

#12 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 04:45 AM

View PostZycat, on April 13 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

TL;DR

What I will try to do in future is, actually show you game footage of nearly all the elements put in this guide.

Edited by Lightangel112, June 02 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#13 Meraple

Meraple

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:03 AM

View PostAboveTheSky, on April 13 2014 - 09:58 PM, said:

-Kopra

-Torka

-Lightangel112

Kopra doesn't play Predator anymore.
Update that list please.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#14 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:03 AM

Added "Notes" under EOC Predator.

Note 1: the aoe explosion actually travels upwards than outwards, keep this in mind when trying to attack opponents that are higher than you as the pucks could land vertically and when detonated, would explode away from them, dealing small to zero damage. So aoe travels upwards, this helps for those jumping over your traps, manual detonation is required.

Note 2: a full 10 Puck Trap will now only do 50 damage each, resulting in 500 damage dealt, and not 550 as this was recently changed probably due to the reduced TTK's. Also note, that someone could boost through a 10 Puck Trap and receive 20% less damage if they had deflectors. The new resulting damage would be 400 instead of 500.

Note 3: pucks that get a "direct hit" actually do more damage. They now do 55 damage than 50. 50 is for all hits that are not direct hits, so any indirect hit is now 50 damage and even pucks that are detonated close to target do 50 also, but this depends how close you are to the pucks effective range/radius. The smallest amount of damage does 27-30.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 14 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#15 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:06 AM

Hawken Top 5 #Predator Pilots

-LEmental

-Lightangel112

-Lord Temujin

-Meraple

-Odranoel
This is my top 5 list of predator players.

LEmental, Meraple and Lord Temu are all very good players.

memag is also good and Odranoel is a pro EOC R player.

Watch out for Lighthazard. A new player with amazing accuracy.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 14 2014 - 05:22 AM.

#16 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:20 AM

View PostReEvolve, on April 13 2014 - 05:31 PM, said:

Is there any chance that you'll copy the guide over to Hawken's Steam guide section_ => http://steamcommunit.../271290/guides/
I feel this guide is to big for it to be ideal on steam. There is already a predator guide on there which is very basic and I feel is adequate to being on steam rather than this behemoth of a guide. So in short No.

#17 ReEvolve

ReEvolve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostLightangel112, on April 14 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

I feel this guide is to big for it to be ideal on steam. There is already a predator guide on there which is very basic and I feel is adequate to being on steam rather than this behemoth of a guide. So in short No.

Hm, that's a shame. The more guides the better, you know_ There are even bigger guides on Steam so I see no problem for yours but it's your decision in the end. :mellow:

#18 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:47 AM

Added to the guide a section for COVER.

Cover
Position yourself when using cover. Your best asset is cover & stealth, you need it more than any other mech in the game, even more so than the technician. Use cover well and don't stay in the open too long or your dead. Learn every map if you plan to use predator, learn the shadows etc, think of an escape plan when using cover. If I use cover "a" can I successfully get to cover "b" without being noticed_ Could I also do that while hitting my target_

Predator is a brilliant burst type mech imo and when used with cover effectively, there are times when I take no damage or I'm hardly ever spotted. I have learned to use cover very well, there are times when I don't even bother placing 2-3 pucks around a corner anymore. This is covered in the tactic section of the guide.

Instead after turning a corner or popping out from cover I fire a flak + puck at my pursuer or target. What that does is effectively "reduces your presence" and keeps you more stealthy, until the last possible second. You also avoid alerting other enemies and do more damage in the process, then start to use pucks around corners as you begin to bait them.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 14 2014 - 05:55 AM.

#19 Lightangel112

Lightangel112

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 05:50 AM

View PostReEvolve, on April 14 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

View PostLightangel112, on April 14 2014 - 05:20 AM, said:

Hm, that's a shame. The more guides the better, you know_ There are even bigger guides on Steam so I see no problem for yours but it's your decision in the end. :mellow:
It isn't just my decision. I've spoken to Meraple previously before and we both felt it was not necessary.
So it is not mine alone, I can ask Meraple again and see if we will go ahead and post this guide for steam.

Edited by Lightangel112, April 14 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#20 AboveTheSky

AboveTheSky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationPredator Pilot of prosk army

Posted April 14 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostMeraple, on April 14 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:

-Kopra