HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

HWKN: Snowfall Chapter 01 Part 2

Project Fanart Art Community

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:57 AM

STAHP!

If you peeps have forgotten what happened or you are absolutely confused at what the heck this is, read the chapters below!  If you don't I'll find you!

Prologue: https://community.pl...0-broken-hopes/
Laila Journal #128: https://community.pl...rnal-entry-128/
Chapter 1 Part 01: https://community.pl...-1/#entry501644

Otherwise, if you do remember, here is Snowfall Chapter 01 Part 2!  Enjoy!

HWKN Chapter 01: Snowfall Part 2
Point in HWKN timeline: Right after the events in Snowfall Part 1

Jin rushed toward an intersection in the hallways, attempting to find the general direction of the hangar.  He saw many personnel dash around him as the klaxon blared in the background. Jin slowed to stare again at the confusing holomap near him.  Fuzzy bunny!  Where is the hangar_  He tried to remember where Laila went and glanced between the three halls that faced him.

They all look the same… How am I going to be able to stay here if I can’t even remember where the hangar is_  Why do I always get lost everywhere I go_

The confrontation with Sergeant Kurosawa rushed through his mind as he raced down the hall. What had he been thinking_ Was he really going to kill her for doing her job_ Damn it!  To think I was going to kill her just for trying to figure out who I was. His mentor's rough voice echoed through his head; 'Letting her live_ You've never been my brightest student.' Jin clenched his teeth as he sprinted down the corridor. "Damn you... Commodore..."

A firm voice broke him away from his thoughts.

“Hey you, aren’t ya the new guy that came in today_”  Someone asked in a thick accent Jin didn’t recognize. Jin looked up and saw a tall broad shouldered man with his arms crossed and his short brown hair shining with sweat.  “Quick, follow me!  Guess we got no time for ya to explain how to calibrate that impressive looking axe of yers.”  He beckoned Jin to follow as he sprinted toward what Jin hoped to be the hangar.

“Oh, you’re Chief Medens!  I’m Ji-” Jin started to say as they raced toward the large hangar doors.

“No time!  Get yer bum in that axe of yers!  We’ll have some small talk later, ‘kay mate_” The burly man exclaimed as he pointed toward Jin’s axe. “Get going!”

Jin saw multiple pilots prepping their respective axes as he ran toward his own, strapping on his helmet during the short run. Vanguards, Brawlers, and even a few refurbished Assaults groaned as their systems turned on and they stomped their way toward the vertical launch tubes.

He jogged to a halt at the edge of his axe's pad, giving it a quick look over.  Okay, it’s a little scratched and dented but nothing serious has been done to the reactive armor plating, joints, and weapons.  Without knowing, he grinned as he patted his matte gray axe.  This is my axe… No one can take this away from me.   Light seemed to slide off its contours and odd angles as neat lines of faded non-reflective black paint covered some segments of its armor like war paint.
Geez, I got to stop admiring it.  What am I doing…_  Jin ran toward one of the legs of his axe and started his ascent.
He climbed on the handrails and slotted his ID key into a concealed console on the hull. The hatch opened as he jumped inside and booted up the movement and weapon systems in a blur, exercising long-practiced movements.  He gripped the dual joystick controls while checking over the internal systems of his axe through the HUD images in his helmet.  Camouflage buffers is functioning, radar works, fuel systems work...  He glanced quickly through the rest of the status chart and moved his axe toward the launch tubes.

Who the heck is trying to take the base_  I thought Sentium forces thought this place wasn’t worth for the taking.

His axe reached the launch pad as a Hangar Control crewman radioed to him. “Sir, Control says you check out for launch.  Just remember your audio systems aren’t synced up with our secure channel yet. So, maintain long distance COMM silence outside and respond with your emergency lights or speak through a direct short burst COMM line to a nearby comrade.” Jin flashed the lights in acknowledgement to test them out. “Good, we will notify you once our systems sync. Launch timing transferred to unknown B-class axe.”

“Private Jin Ryu in B-class Spectre, Poltergeist.  Launching axe!” Jin radioed through the short burst COMM as he keyed the launch pad to lift. Heavy g-forces pushed him down in his seat as the pad rocketed toward the surface. He clenched his teeth, feeling the entire frame of the axe jolt, as the pad reached its destination and locked into place. The foot pad clamps released as heavy fire rained down on other friendly axes around him.

Jin quickly set down a shield around his damaged allies and activated the camouflage buffers.  Poltergeist briefly shimmered black and gray in response. The photoreactive sensors and camouflage buffers scanned and finally matched the surrounding snowy environment. Jin slowly exhaled a sigh of relief as his fellow pilots started to repair under the safety of the shield; he hadn't even realized he was holding it.

Jin readjusted his grip on the controls and walked around a couple hills, sneaking away from the heat of combat. He boosted the range of his modified sensor package to get the best overview of the enemy, gradually approaching their general position. The sensors found many enemy IFF tags about 100 metres away. If only I could see exactly where they were. He shook his head to concentrate and stealthily moved around toward the enemy tags.  This isn’t the time to gripe about what I don’t have, make do with what you do have to mercilessly crus-  He stopped mid-thought.  Frack, I really have more of the Commodore in me than I want to admit. Jin briefly shuddered as memories resurfaced from the grave depths of his mind.  Good advice or not, I got to focus on the task at hand.

Jin carefully edged over the last snow dune, tentatively observing a sizable group of enemy axes arranged in an undefinable formation in the fierce blizzard that kept blowing strong and relentless through the wintry wastes. Three black Rocketeers, two Sharpshooter types, and one Grenadier.  All of them painted with bright red stripes that usually adorned elite veteran axes.  This is going to be tough…  I got lucky that the sensors work through the blizzard. Jin bit his lip as he checked Poltergeist's weapons again while cracking into Sentium’s secure squad COMM line. He started to lay tightly packed traps with the G-SPC around the nearby chokepoint, listening to the enemy's chatter.

“Poor fuzzy bunny dolts…  I bet they don’t even know what hit them,” crackled a man’s voice through Jin’s helmet speakers. “I almost feel sorry for them, but a contract is a contract. Hurry up and push through their defenses, this is too boring!”

“Yessir! Initiate the assault! Let’s show them who’s boss!" Yelled another. The large group started to move toward the chokepoints, yelling similar phrases as Jin slowly crept closer to them. "For the Skull Daggers, hoorah!"

The wind howled, masking sounds of Jin’s movement.  Another gamble, another step towards victory.  I’m lucky they even used this route. Time to make a house call. Jin detonated the trap, switching to explosive shotgun mode with a dull bang, as the first of the three leading Rocketeers’ signature slanted cockpits came into view. The blooming explosion engulfed most of the group as the pilots panicked.

“What_!”

“Ambush! Ambush!”

“Get it together men! Circle formation,” yelled the first man. “This is getting interesting… I like it!” Jin could almost feel the man, who was obviously the leader, smile.

What kind of twist could smile about this pointless war_  The image of the vile man Jin loathed flashed through his mind. He already knew his answer. Jin charged Poltergeist’s Heat Repeater and readied the G-SPC’s shotgun bombs as he saw the enemies move.

The separated group quickly formed a circle with weapons facing outward, effectively covering each other’s blind spots even through the storm.  These guys were trained well, just like I was.  A few of Jin’s allies came over the ridge and took potshots at the group, taking advantage of the temporary lull Jin’s trap had created.  The circle of enemy axes quickly retaliated and sent streams of hellfires at them, forcing them to keep their heads down.

Poltergeist’s camouflage flashed as Jin moved to attack. Black and gray petal-like fragments scattered from Poltergeist’s cloak and dissolved in the harsh wind.  Jin fired off both of his weapons as they were distracted by the spectacle, trying to help his fellow pilots. Small explosions peppered the group as the Repeater’s heavy slug round smoldered two of the Rocketeers’ weapons while the shotgun’s projectiles explosions created holes in their armor.

A few of enemy axes turned to face Jin as the others continued to pour cover fire.  Fuzzy bunny!  I didn’t think this part through! His eyes narrowed as he weaved and dodged some of the incoming hellfires and the various grenade projectiles. Shoot, I can’t dodge them all! Poltergeist shook as the brunt of explosives and sabot rounds mauled its armor.

Heat warning signs and errors appeared all over the cockpit screen as the delicate components of his B-Class shattered and boiled. Damn, I forgot these weapons generate high heat and that the armor is fragile.  The cockpit was filled with sparks as the cockpit view screen cracked.

“Wow, very interesting! We struck gold! What luck, boys! Now we get a bonus for finding it.” Shouted the leader through the public COMM. “What’s your name, pilot_” The axes surrounded Jin and pointed their weapons at him.

“The name’s ‘You’re a fuzzy bunny’.” Jin growled through the public COMM as his heart jumped to his throat. How do they know about the Polterge-

“This one’s very cheeky, I like that!  Fascinating how this boy sounds young… Though reports said the pilot was a young female and the axe was a C-class.” The leader’s voice became icy, like the malevolent frigid miasma that surrounded them. “So… there are two prototypes_ Looks like we need to raise our contract price, especially since you managed to disable a good amount of our weapons and destroy some of my comrades’ joints. They can’t move so well now." Jin could feel him smiling as he heard him continue. “That kind of accuracy shows you ain’t a regular pilot, boy.”

Wait...what_  Two prototypes_ Jin readied his Repeater while his COMM clicked as it switched to another channel.

“Heads up newbie!  Duck!” A female voice shouted through his headphones.  Jin flashed his lights in acknowledgement and initiated the shutdown sequence.

Heaps of small glowing orbs flew by, barely singeing Poltergeist as it crouched to repair mode. The searing projectiles barreled into the enemy axes while kicking up and vaporizing nearby snow.  Jin was surprised when he saw larger fireballs smash onto an unlucky Rocketeer as he returned his axe to the upright position.

The leader was quick to respond as he lobbed grenades toward the general direction of the new threat.  He and his friends started to back out as soon they all began to smoke and catch fire. “Fuzzy bunny!  Retreat men, retreat! Remember the name Mason Jaggers, boy! Remember it well, ya hear! We’ll beat the snot out of ya later!” Mason bellowed through public COMM as all the Skull Dagger axes boosted away.

“What kind of axe can shoot fireballs_ Could it be…_” Jin muttered as he turned his axe around.

He saw something unlike any axe he had encountered ever before.  A behemoth of a C-class raced toward him as large vents on its shield arms vented distorting waves of heat.  What the hell_  Is that a fuzzy bunny axe-sized minigun and a flamethrower_  Jin noticed it was faster than most C-classes of its size.  Dear God, no wonder why those guys ran…

He finally noticed his hands on the joysticks were shaking from the adrenaline rush. Relaxing his grip, he sighed in relief.  That was close…  I hope my luck doesn’t run out soon… I’m lucky my shots even hit those mercs.

Shae keyed the COMM again while checking around the hills for possible enemies and grinned.  Ha, I did it right this time.  Now you can’t criticize me for not being cautious Kaori!  She shook her ponytailed dark red hair as she took off her helmet. “Newbie! You must have some serious luck since your axe is still in one piece.” Chief Medens brought up the rear as he finished repairing the damage on Shae’s axe with his red A-class Technician, Aggressive Pacifist.

Shae looked over the newbie’s axe.  Wow, that’s some serious looking equipment on that thing.  The unknown B-class looked very smooth despite new dents and pits from the recent firefight.  The cockpit seemed to slope into a vague sea predator-like shape.

She whistled as she noted the dual purpose weapons on each arm.  Is that a modified heat cannon and a multi-grenade launcher_  Laila’s gonna have a field day once this guy shows her how it works.  “That’s some axe you got there, newbie.  You better care of it, otherwise Laila and Chief Medens will flay you.”

“I’m right here, ya know_ Very rude to talk about someone as if he’s not here.” Grunted Medens as the rookie turned his axe toward Shae.

“Ha ha, thanks for saving me ma’am.”  An embarrassed male voice responded.  “I thought I was a goner.  I’m Private Jin Ryu and this is a Spectre called Poltergeist.”  A pause as she heard him shuffle in his seat.  “That’s also an impressive axe you have.”

“Thanks, it’s a Phoenix named Hiasobi.  I’m rather uncomfortable when others address me ‘ma’am’.  Shae is just fine, okay Jin_  You actually did pretty well for a rookie pilot! By the way, how did you manage to—”

“Oi! We can have some nice chitchat later, okay you two_ We gotta hurry up, Makoto wants me to fix ‘is Reaper first, and that takes a while with all the fancy kit on that little bugger.” Interrupted Medens as he turned his axe toward the bunker. “Stay quiet for now, I was listenin’ to some nice music.”  He closed the COMM with a click as he turned back toward Bunker 167.

“Yes sir.” They responded.  The trio headed back toward the pyramid with the other pilots as the blizzard finally subsided to reveal a bright blue sky.

“Sir, the seeds have made contact.  The Skull Daggers have failed to summon the two’s dormant abilities.”  A man in maintenance overalls spoke to his UI pad.  He watched three particular axes come back to Bunker 167 through the hangar with the other axes. The man stood on the lip of a maintenance vehicle as he pretended to fix a few circuits.

“That’s alright, the true test will come. Proceed with phase two, we are in luck that the boy came here of all places. The two seeds will soon grow to become fruits that will grant the organization great gifts. We are pleased with your work.” A distorted male voice replied through the UI pad.

“Thank you, sir. Shall I prep the people from project Null and make other calls_”  The other asked as he adjusted his glasses.

“Yes, I’ll send you additional orders on where to send them. Sit laus ejus Christum adoremus in Hawken.”

“May he forever watch over us all.” The man said, finishing the sentence.  “I shall have the job done.”

The conversation ended with a beep as the man started to work.

“Sarge, you got a call from the IPDF Chief!  It’s an urgent message, and she wants to speak to you in your office.”  An aide told Kaori as she and Malik stepped down from their axes.

Kaori and Malik exchanged glances at the word ‘she’ and promptly ran to her office.  They skidded to a stop at the doorway.  “Malik, make sure no one goes inside while this conversation happens.  Also—” Malik gently cupped her hands in his and gave her a rough smile.

“Don’t worry about me,” He glanced around if anyone was near Kaori’s office and turned back toward her.  “Worry about yourself. Keep yourself calm, okay chica_”

He knows I hate being called that…

“Malik, I know this isn’t like before.  Thanks for trying to comfort me, but we both know you’re fuzzy bunny awful at that.”  Kaori replied angrily but was slightly startled by her own harshness.

Malik reverted back to his usual cranky self.  “Hey!  At least I’m trying, damn it!  I’ll… be here, okay_  Just keep calm, you’re getting mad easily already.”

“Look who’s talking.” Kaori replied as she lightly punched his shoulder and closed the office door behind her.

She took a deep breath of air.  The constant thrum of the heaters helped her calm down.  Kaori sat down at her desk and keyed the live holocam feed to turn on her wall.  An elderly woman with a serpentine smile appeared, wearing the official uniform of IPDF.  Kaori gripped the sides of her chair to keep herself from showing any nervous habits. The room suddenly became suffocating to her.

“Why hello Kaori, dear. It’s been nine or so years since I’ve seen you!  How do you fare, dear_”  The woman asked with a cold smile filled with venom.  Kaori could almost imagine her as a cobra preparing to strike.

Damn her!  Why now after all these years_  Kaori felt white hot rage fill her instead of chills.  She struggled to maintain a firm expression.  “Why are you calling me, reinstated chief of IPDF_”

“Why the formal title_  Forget about the past between us, dear.  I’ve honestly changed, Kaori!”  The other said with widened eyes.

“Yeah,” Kaori stiffly replied.  “You’ve changed, why don’t you show me your true basilisk form, ‘Chief’ Mamishi_”

“So much hostility…” Mamishi said wryly. “What’s with this ‘Chief Mamishi’ fuzzy bunny_  You know how to address me properly.  Anyway, how’s that redhead girl and that convict ma--“

“Why. Did. You. Call_” Kaori asked again through clenched teeth.  Her knuckles whitened as she tightened her grip on the arms of the chair.

The snake frowned as she asked, “Is this how you’re supposed to respond to your mother… dear daughter_”

Chapter 1 ends.

Next Laila Journal Entry #129

Next HWKN Chapter:  Memories

Thanks goes to these awesome people:

Lazy_Kittens and Wi2p for being my editors (<3 you both a lot!)
Killer_Origins for stuff that we both know. :3 And other edits.
Magnolia1038 for official info and awesome other stuff
Aregon for character ideas (Mason Jaggers was inspired by him)

UPDATE:  Put up some edits since some parts were unnecessary.

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, June 07 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#2 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts
  • LocationDistrict 19, Kobalt, Crion, Illal

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:31 AM

Nice.
I`ll fix it later.

#3 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 11:50 AM

Also,

NOT ENOUGH BEWBYS! NEEDS MORE MAN-FUEL!
I`ll fix it later.

#4 KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLast Sighted: Praxis Valley

Posted May 20 2014 - 05:35 PM

Beginning: Oh this is gonna be good.
Middle: Oh this is good!
End: OHHHHH!
-
In all, a fantastic display of combat and intrigue. I have some minor comments on a few things if you're interested, but in all another thrilling work Hijinks, now please release the next.
Posted Image

eth0 said:

are you made of cupcakes and puppies_

View PostSylhiri, on July 13 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Never underestimate the power of the epeen.

View PostSatelliteJack, on July 13 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Droppin' wisdom bombs

#5 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 05:42 PM

View PostKilleR_OrigiNs, on May 20 2014 - 05:35 PM, said:

Beginning: Oh this is gonna be good.
Middle: Oh this is good!
End: OHHHHH!
-
In all, a fantastic display of combat and intrigue. I have some minor comments on a few things if you're interested, but in all another thrilling work Hijinks, now please release the next.

Sure thing!  PM me any of those comments so I can fix it!  I have a feeling that I might have made this a tad too long.  I do wish more people made some comments so I can improve on this.

You had some lovely reactions by the way. :P

View PostAregon, on May 20 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Also,

NOT ENOUGH BEWBYS! NEEDS MORE MAN-FUEL!

Um.... That's not my style...  I'm glad you liked the story though!

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, May 20 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#6 Magnolia1038

Magnolia1038

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationThe Pen Is Mightier Than The Axe

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:38 PM

Excellent read, and love the artwork :)

#7 SandSpider

SandSpider

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationThe ninth dimension

Posted May 21 2014 - 03:41 PM

This is an excellent piece! I love the details about the mechs, very descriptive and well written.  So, there is a saboteur who belongs to some kind of Hawken cult_ I didn't see that coming. Nice surprise :blink:

#8 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostSandSpider, on May 21 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

This is an excellent piece! I love the details about the mechs, very descriptive and well written.  So, there is a saboteur who belongs to some kind of Hawken cult_ I didn't see that coming. Nice surprise :blink:
CoughTechpriestsfromMarsCough
I`ll fix it later.

#9 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostMagnolia1038, on May 21 2014 - 01:38 PM, said:

Thanks!  I'm actually going to replace the art with something else since it's not my best piece.  I'm glad you like it though.  :D

What_ o.o  No one else has thought of that_  I'm glad it gave you a shocker.  :D

View PostAregon, on May 21 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

Wat.

Anyway, prepare for another Laila Journal Entry sometime next week!  I'm sure she has a lot to type about. :P

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, May 28 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:03 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on May 23 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

Thanks!  I'm actually going to replace the art with something else since it's not my best piece.  I'm glad you like it though.  :D

What_ o.o  No one else has thought of that_  I'm glad it gave you a shocker.  :D

Wat.

Anyway, prepare for another Laila Journal Entry sometime next week!  I'm sure she has a lot to type about. :P
Dude, Warhammer 40K_ Never heard about it_
I`ll fix it later.

#11 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 02:31 PM

View PostAregon, on May 23 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:

Wat.

I don't believe I have.  I'm not very well versed in the Warhammer 40K lore.

Since I think the art I put up for the chapter isn't up to par of what I'd like it to be!  I'm going to make a new one!  :o

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, May 28 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#12 Aregon

Aregon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on May 28 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Wat.

Read this
I`ll fix it later.

#13 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted June 01 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostAregon, on May 28 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

View PostHijinks_The_Turtle, on May 28 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Wat.

Read this

Sorry for not reading it earlier!  Wow that article was lengthy and very in depth. o.o

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project, Fanart, Art, Community

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users