HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

New C-Type Ability Mechanics..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted October 31 2013 - 11:22 AM

Okay, pretty much everyone is in agreeance that the C-Type's turret mode is fundamentally flawed. So, lets change what those shields actually do and make them actually do something...

Brawler: Rear Shields. The shields lower behind the mech, 35% Damage Reduction to rear attacks. Boost speed reduced by say, 50%, while deployed.

Rocketeer: Forward Shields. The shields lower in front of the mech. 40% Damage Reduction to frontal attacks. Max dodge speed (both on the ground and in the air) reduced by 50% while deployed.

Grenadier: Forward Shields. The shields lower in front of the mech. 35% Damage Reduction to frontal attacks. 50% reduced air height cap, flight speed and air acceleration while deployed.

Vanguard: Side Shields. The shields lower to the sides (like the "hulk smash" double tea bag taunt) of the mech. 35% Damage Reduction to side attacks. 50% slower walking speeds while deployed.

They keep their current bonuses while in Shield Mode. They all get the turn rate nerf, weight is moved from the top (center of mass) to the outer edges of center. More mass to move, slower turning. The penalties listed are up for debate, but this is a good start I think towards fixing their abilities.

Also keeping in mind that no a-types or b-types have penalties with their abilities. None that come to mind, besides the new cloaks not being able to boost. This is a trade-off though. Since their abilities are on timers while c-types, and cloaks, are not (not exactly..).

Another optional idea would be to add a straight buff of say, 150hp added to total HP while shields are deployed. Since they are actually you know, extra armor... That idea has some "complications" though. Like the devs having to recode some things probably. So if a mech is down to 500hp out of 900hp, he drops the shields and he gets 650hp out of 1050hp. Then you gotta account for internals that work off of those HP figures, too. So, I dunno.

#2 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted October 31 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well said. +1

Although atm, C classes are just too UP to be viable. Even with this new turret mechanic, I think I'll stick with my Infil.
Posted Image

#3 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted October 31 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostMr_UnKNoWn, on October 31 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

Well said. +1

Although atm, C classes are just too UP to be viable. Even with this new turret mechanic, I think I'll stick with my Infil.

They aren't unviable, they are just a little behind the other mechs when you take the Tech out of the equasion. My Brawler, which I don't even play that much, still can kick quite a bit of ass against decent players in a balanced match.

Get your hard on.

#4 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted October 31 2013 - 12:02 PM

Vanguard: Side Shields. The shields lower to the sides (like the "hulk smash" double tea bag taunt) of the mech. 35% Damage Reduction to side attacks. 50% slower walking speeds while deployed.

i have some idea too:
1) press F - gives us the forward shields (like the ability work now)

2) hold F for 2-3 seconds - down shields as a "tea bag" and gain +% armor. slower walking speeds (-4 m/s) and you dodge c/d increase (+0.4 sec. And increase airdodge too), also alternative ability blocked you "spin" (shift+S combination)

I mean, to make alternative for all mechs (with a few changes in block % and a speed reduction)

Edited by nepacaka, October 31 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#5 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted October 31 2013 - 12:03 PM

Here is idea:
Press 1 to set the placement of your shields in front of you.
Press 2 to set the placement of your shields to the side of you.
Press 3 to set the placement of your shields behind you.

Defense buff is given to where ever the shields are placed.
And remove the "increase of damage in certain areas" condition.

Simple with no need for crazy conditions

Edited by ShadowWarg, October 31 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#6 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted October 31 2013 - 12:22 PM

And remove the "increase of damage in certain areas" condition.
Yeah, the devs really need remove it. This system is not working and it dumb, and has no logic

#7 DFTR

DFTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted November 01 2013 - 08:11 AM

My suggestion is to use the Turret-mode as a nerf stick.
For example, people feel the scout's too OP, well goodbye fuel regeneration, hello turret-scout w/ decreased turn rate and inability to dodge.
Maybe a little serious...
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TAW Recruitment[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We are always looking to recruit new members. If you are interested in joining a great team and experiencing tactical play at its very best, fill out the [/font]application[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif] on our website now. One of our dedicated staff will be in touch very soon after your application is received but if you have any questions please feel free to drop me a PM. We use Teamspeak3 to communicate on our own secure and professionally maintained servers. [/font]

#8 Muffintrumpet

Muffintrumpet

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 08:26 AM

looking a the Cs I first expected the arms to lower like riot shields at the cost of dodging or something like that
the Cs look silly in turret stance anyway, the way they just slide around is at serious odds with the rest of the impeccable mech movement animations in the game
if turret stance has been pants for this long then I expect the chances of a change of this nature are nill
(sadly)

"To the untrained eye this chart may indeed appear to demonstrate a steep and sustained downward trend; however, what you're actually seeing is the line being dragged down because of the strengthening gravitational pull of a player base that is actually increasing in density.  Rest assured, this is all going completely according to plan."

#9 tease_it

tease_it

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Locationjust outside Illinois' border

Posted November 01 2013 - 09:28 AM

Or . . . press "F" while in air to place shields underneath you and goomba-stomp puny A-classes into oblivion!
[font=courier new,courier,monospace]If violence isn't solving all your problems, you simply aren't using enough of it.[/font]

#10 m3talc0re

m3talc0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted November 01 2013 - 02:16 PM

That'd be epic and awesome, lol

#11 PhysicsCrime

PhysicsCrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 01:20 AM

It would be nice if shields were something you could deploy to the sides that reduce damage but still allow you to walk and dodge and boost but at slower speeds.

#12 Sadhana

Sadhana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted November 02 2013 - 01:49 AM

Improvised Bunker. The ability instead drops the shields for cover with various benefits for anyone who's in the "trench".

I.E.: Rocketeer's bunkering makes explosives do more damage, Brawler reduces heat generation, et cetera.

Naturally, bunker shields would be destructible, but would take ditch effort from the other team to tear them down. It would promote more tactical gameplay, more vital use of choke points and an all around new use for the Type-Cs besides bunky punching bags with a lot of fire power.  

The biggest pro is allies get reduced hit boxes due to obstruction, the con is it could easily be abused to make shelter tactics overly viable.

#13 UmbralReaver

UmbralReaver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have to agree. Something needs to be done. It's reached a point where I'm generally happy to see an enemy in turret mode. Easy pickings!

#14 Bazookagofer

Bazookagofer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted November 09 2013 - 03:47 PM

Why not just dump the turret mode_ It useless anyway without a tech. I would prefer if my rocketeer had the scouts special ability way more.

Posted Image "If at first you do not succeed... reload"

#15 UnDeaD_CyBorG

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted November 09 2013 - 06:29 PM

Oh absolutely.
I'm (still) hoping that one day, on level 4 or 5, we'll unlock a prestige ability for our mechs. Maybe without level upgrades, but still, something a little different, like a Berserk with half the damage bonus, but reduced scatter for airfights.
Then the turret ability would have to be balanced directly against something useful.
It won't happen, though.
Generally, the turrets all have a point, it's just a very tiny point in a sea of disadvantages.
The only way I'd regularly use a turret mode would be if a new heavy had one with "can hover while deployed" and upgrades to reduce fall speed and raise boost.
Turrets are just sad. I only use them on the Grenadier, because I don't actually need to be in the fight for it to be useful.
How about a Snowflake Holo Emote_

If an enemy fires on me, intent to take my life, I can fight back, or I can turn and flee.
But if a "friendly" tech comes by, intent to take my dignity, I can do nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users