HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Sad, Sad, Sad Heat Cannon

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Preternatural

Preternatural

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLurking in the Tunnels of Origin

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:40 PM

DO YOU LIKE USING THE HEAT CANNON_ Odds are, your answer was no.

Heat Cannon popularity was on a pretty steady decline for a pretty long time. Nowadays, it is extremely rare to find a Heat Scout, and even rarer to find one who is decent.

However, I like using the difficult stuff. So I took my little prestiged Scout and perfected the art of destroying better players than me with splash damage from both the TOW and the Heat Cannon, most of the time without these enemies even taking half my health. Flak and Mini Flak Scouts are the pesky fly-bys of the battlefield; they just zip around and unload tons of bullets at you from short range...and require little-to-no skill. Aim, fire, boom 120 damage. If you're anything like me, choosing an easy way to destroy my opponents holds no appeal, so I tried out the Heat Cannon...and slowly fell in love with it. It is, IMHO, much more versatile than the Mini/Flak.

Devastating your enemies with the Heat Cannon's humongous splash is one of the most rewarding feelings you can get in this game.

The splash radius of the Heat Cannon is one of the largest of any primaries in the game, and only require you to launch a shot around your opponent, not hit them directly. For players with low frames like me, it is extremely hard to hit players with any kind of low-projectile-speed weapon. But the Heat Cannon's splash makes up for its weaknesses (such as projectile speeds, slow reload time, small round). If your internet connection is also suffering, it is hard to hit fast-moving pros with a Flak Cannon. Again, because of the splash, your aim does not have to be perfect.

Heat Cannon, if put in the right hands, can easily best a equal skill leveled Flak player. Of course, once that Flak player gets in your face, a Heat player stands little chance. Here's how you can beat any mech (even pesky Flak Scouts) with a Heat Cannon.

1. Stay at medium range, where burst weapons aren't as effective, and your Heat Cannon is still extremely dangerous. If you have to, or want to, close in quickly and make sure they aren't armed with
an extremely bursty weapon and/or have over half-health.

2. Get the high ground, where you can use the Heat Cannon's splash to your advantage. Jumping sporadically works very well. DON'T FLY, JUMP.

3. Buy the "air compressor" internal, so you pose a harder target to hit whilst jumping.

4. Aim at the ground around the enemy with charged shots. There is no point trying to hit a fast-moving player with your little Heat round.

5. Master uncharged shots. A charged Heat shot only does like 10 damage more than an uncharged, so charging a shot drastically lowers your DPS but does drastically improve splash damage. Learn to use uncharged shots.

6. Run from shields. The Heat cannon's splash will hurt you as much as you hurt the enemy, and therefore it is better off to run away and live to fight another day than kill your enemy and yourself.

7. If you find yourself in a 1v2 situation, retreat. The DPS of Heat Cannon is simply too low for a low-armored Scout or slow Rocketeer to combat multiple enemies. I'm not saying it's impossible to beat 1v2s with a Heat Cannon, it is just very hard (for me, anyway).

8. Don't let your enemy see you. What I mean by this is hit your enemies from around corners using splash damage. There is no reason why you can't do fuzzy bunny-tons of damage to an enemy without them seeing you. :ph34r:

9. Go for the combo! Heat+Secondary is extremely deadly, and if you manage to land one or two good combos, it is almost impossible for you to lose a skirmish.

10. Recognize splash damage as your BFF. Cannot stress it enough, the splash damage of a Heat Cannon is your most important ally, especially when going up against bursty weapons.

I hope I changed that answer to the question I asked you at the beginning of the post. :)

Edited by Preternatural, December 05 2013 - 07:06 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:46 PM

Definitely some good tips here. I was saddened to see that no adjustments are being made to the HEAT cannon in the next patch, it used to be such a fun weapon to use.
Posted Image

#3 Xacius

Xacius

The Saltan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • LocationOther games, waiting for dev beacon

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:50 PM

The title was misleading, but the thread delivered.  Great guide!
High MMR (2700+) livestream (scroll down on twitch page for in-depth bio and PC specs).   Check out my Steam Guide!

Exeon is fuzzy bunny bad.

Currently inactive.  Estimated return: TPG 2

#4 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:50 PM

Even when it was stupidly good i didn't like using it.

#5 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:55 PM

Honestly, I find the splash on the current HEAT is a bit ridiculous.
I've found I can get in some pretty decent damage just by spamming uncharged shots at peoples feet.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#6 KejiGoto

KejiGoto

Scruffy Lookin' Nerf Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on December 02 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Honestly, I find the splash on the current HEAT is a bit ridiculous.
I've found I can get in some pretty decent damage just by spamming uncharged shots at peoples feet.

As much as I hate agreeing with you I couldn't agree with this more. Heat Cannon AOE is just ridiculous at the moment, especially with uncharged shots. You don't even need to be near your target to hit them and often I'm getting nailed by splash damage before I even have line of sight on whoever is shooting at me.

Couple Heat Cannon up with several other issues in the game and it becomes even worse to deal with in some cases.

Posted Image

#7 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:40 PM

HEAT cannon is in a good spot right now, It's Failsafe that needs fixing.
Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#8 Silk_Sk

Silk_Sk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:40 PM

Nerf the splash, leave it as it, I don't really care. But it absolutely needs a buff to direct hit charged damage. 90 for a fully charged shot_ I was mad enough when they nerfed it down to 100. The HEAT Cannon is a precision weapon that does not reward precision :(. High direct damage with heavy feathering is how I prefer it.

Edited by Silk_Sk, December 02 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:48 PM

Heat cannon since 2012 <3

Posted Image

#10 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on December 02 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

High direct damage with heavy feathering is how I prefer it.
Couldn't agree more.

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#11 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 02 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostSilk_Sk, on December 02 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Nerf the splash, leave it as it, I don't really care. But it absolutely needs a buff to direct hit charged damage. 90 for a fully charged shot_ I was mad enough when they nerfed it down to 100. The HEAT Cannon is a precision weapon that does not reward precision :(. High direct damage with heavy feathering is how I prefer it.

View PostDeVact, on December 02 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Couldn't agree more.

I disagree. If you want to be rewarded for high precision, play SS, or Reaper. Heat scout is the wizard of this game, he's all about direct line of sight AOE as compared to the Grenadiers indirect AOE. It's an interesting and different playstyle and personally I'd hate to see the scout made into a reaper-clone.

Edited by HatesYourFace, December 02 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

I also play on "PoundSignYoloSwag" (Assault/G2 Assault) and "FriendshipIsMagic" (Rocketeer) But haven't been able to add them to my Sig yet due to computer problems.

#12 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted December 02 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostHatesYourFace, on December 02 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

I disagree. If you want to be rewarded for high precision, play SS, or Reaper. Heat scout is the wizard of this game, he's all about direct line of sight AOE as compared to the Grenadiers indirect AOE. It's an interesting and different playstyle and personally I'd hate to see the scout made into a reaper-clone.
I agree that AOE ambushes should be a part of the playstyle but I feel that direct hits aren't rewarded properly. I'm well aware that they probably won't change damage values, since the projectile speed was buffed with ascension and hitting targets has gotten easier to some point.
I simply miss the olden times where almost nobody could properly utilise the weapon for what it was (at least on the EU side) and I kinda owned with it Hipster-YOLO-style.

EDIT: I should clarify that by hitting targets I mean direct hits as well.

Edited by DeVact, December 02 2013 - 02:03 PM.

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#13 HatesYourFace

HatesYourFace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 02 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostDeVact, on December 02 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

I agree that AOE ambushes should be a part of the playstyle but I feel that direct hits aren't rewarded properly. I'm well aware that they probably won't change damage values, since the projectile speed was buffed with ascension and hitting targets has gotten easier to some point.
I simply miss the olden times where almost nobody could properly utilise the weapon for what it was (at least on the EU side) and I kinda owned with it Hipster-YOLO-style.

EDIT: I should clarify that by hitting targets I mean direct hits as well.

I see what you're saying. You don't want to play FOTM. Me either honestly.

Personally I've just never liked shotguns so I've always used the HEAT cannon on scout, and while I'm glad it got buffed and I'm happy to see it's finally a balanced weapon, I'll admit that back when it was sub-par and widely considered useless, it was almost a badge of honor to use it and do good and I will miss that.

But we can't hate our favorite band just because they became popular can we_
Posted Image

#14 OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location2300-2400 Pilot Camp

Posted December 02 2013 - 02:55 PM

Good guide. >.> Too bad I play both flak and heat scout.

Scootin' and Shootin | Ballin' and Brawlin' | Ragin' and Raidin'

Posted Image

I am Omega Null. The abyss is my home and your last frontier. Welcome to my lair and become my Prey. As I track your scent through this nether,

my mouth begins to water. Your Demise will be quick and wretched.

Enjoy your Pain and Suffering as I tear Limb from Limb. Prepare to meet your Final End.

Member of Violent Resolution

#15 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted December 02 2013 - 04:18 PM

I use heat on my rocketeer...because nobody use heat on rocketeer :lol:
Seriously, I don't know why_  I saw enemy heat-rocketeer only 1-2 times. It is extremely rare mech, like a grenader with heat too.
Heat hard to educated, but more interesting to play!

#16 HideyoshiYaoi

HideyoshiYaoi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • LocationSTL

Posted December 02 2013 - 04:27 PM

I liked HEAT before they buffed the heat generation, and I think it's PERFECTLY balanced right now.

#17 Rasti

Rasti

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted December 02 2013 - 04:48 PM

Played Mini Flak Scout until people shouted at me to stop playing it ... then I played Flak Scout until people told me to stop playing it ... then I played Heat Scout until people told me to stop playing it.

Now I play Flak Scout again and people still tell me to stop playing it.

Damn, being a Scout Player since Alpha has been a long run of suffering ...

Anyways, pretty good guide.
Spamming the Heat while flying and air dodging like a fuzzy bunny is also a way to kill others if the charging skills don't suffice.
That being said, the current splash radius is somewhat ridiculous.
What was it ... 17m for a charged shot_ (Please do correct me if I'm mistaken) That's even bigger than the Grenade Launcher IIRC, which is already massive enough imo.

Jonnywithanh said:

yes you can be yoda

#18 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted December 02 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostRasti, on December 02 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

That being said, the current splash radius is somewhat ridiculous.
What was it ... 17m for a charged shot_
But this is less than splash in hawken open beta beginning. Uncharged splash better (on my feel) than hawken OB. But I can mistake too =D. In any case I pleased new heat, it is balanced weapon now. Good in 1vs1, normal in team fight, weak if enemy is fly or you fight 1vsMany, and give some weak against some type of weapon (like flak in close fight (q_q). Imho, current heat is very good balanced. (without FS 90% sure :D)

Edited by nepacaka, December 02 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#19 ropefish

ropefish

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts
  • Locationfuzzybunny you, ima cat now (~o-o)~

Posted December 02 2013 - 05:46 PM

i never used heat before o-o
hmmm....
"I find that there are those who will hang themselves if you give them enough rope, and that there are those who will provide their own rope. "
-VocalMagic           Croin//illal's wildlife

View PostDaPheel, on October 26 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

You don't nuke Ropefish : ROPEFISH NUKES YOU!

#20 Discessus

Discessus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Locationarid-zona

Posted December 02 2013 - 06:17 PM

I use Heat on Infil and Scout.  I like the weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users