HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

So you want to play Manguard_

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2014 - 08:01 AM

Welcome to Leonhardt's Guide to Manguard

So you want to play Manguard huh_ Good choice. Other mechs are for ninnies and sissies!

Before we start getting into the details of the guide lets start with the fundamentals of C-class and Manguard. Anyone who has played C-class knows that they can be quite unforgiving in a few areas such as positioning and awareness. To guide you on your journey from being a lowly Vanguard pilot to a Manguard pilot I will supply you with video material for you to analyze on your own. Now that doesn't mean I am going to just give you raw video and leave you out to dry. A MANGUARD NEVER LEAVES HIS TEAMMATES OUT TO DRY! Since you are all my teammates at the moment I will help you analyze my videos pointing out my own mistakes. I will also answer questions both in here and on youtube.

If you have a question my only request is that you give me the time period and video in which the scene took place so that I can reference it. Going back through a bunch of video a million times to answer 9 different questions sucks and I am not going to do it.

I repeat if there is no time period given I will not answer your question.

Now lets get onto my guide shall we_ First up are the basics. As is the usual pattern for my guides I will give you a video that seems to have nothing to do with playing Hawken and then magically pull lessons out of it like a wizard or Babaji.

SECTION 1: THE "8 FOLD PATH OF REX KWAN DO"

#1.) Observe Rex's unwavering manliness. Even in the face of sheer idiocy Rex remains MANLY. As a Manguard pilot learn from Rex and remain manly at all times! BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!

#2.) Some little A or B class come up to take you on_ They try to sweep the leg with a pathetic movement_ SLAP THEM IN THE FACE AND MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE! Manguard's do not care for the weak opponents they CRUSH THEM 2-3 at a time.

#3.) Pilot comes up on you while you are healing_ Tries to grab your wrist_ SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE AND WALK AWAY (boosting is advisable here). If he follows you around the corner REPEAT UNTIL HE EXPLODES because EXPLOSIONS ARE MANLY!

#4.) Does some guy walk up and try to kick you while your back is turned_ DODGE TURN AROUND AND SMACK HIM IN THE FACE! "You will block it every time" ~The late great manly Rex

#5.) BUDDY SYSTEM - A Manguard need not an ally to take on 3-5 mechs at once, but his allies do need him. Positioning is KEY to the buddy system. Help out your teammates move with them and keep them safe. That means watching your radar for both friendlies and enemies.

#6.) DISCIPLINE YOUR IMAGE - Confidence is important to being manly and appearance is PART OF BEING MANLY. So how do I "discipline my image"_ Its simple. Step one acquire Vanguard, step two BUY A SWEET CAMO OR TWO, step three customize it into a MANGUARD! Those who use pink checkers such as myself will be praised and those who use the colors of the American flag in honor of Rex WILL DOMINATE THE BATTLEFIELD WITH OVERWHELMING CONFIDENCE!

#7.) BUY THE DAMN CAMO! Seriously nobody wants a Grenade to the face while you are wearing a sweet camo. YOUR MANLY PAINT JOB WILL STRIKE FEAR INTO THE HEARTS OF YOUR ENEMIES!

#8.) Self Respect - This is what separates the Vanguards from the Manguards (if you are a cupcake GET OUT OF HERE WE DON'T WANT SISSIES). Self respect does not mean naming your Manguard "Sturla" and pretending that its your wife. What it means is remaining calm in the face of defeat or loss. A Manguard TAKES WHAT HE NEEDS AND DESTROYS EVERYTHING ELSE! A MANGUARD SAYS "GG" AFTER EVERY GAME AND RESPECTS HIS OPPONENT, but he also knows that he can never stop growing or learning new ways of being MANLY!

Section 2: VIDEO TIME

Ok so now that the basics of being a Manguard are clearly laid out in the "8 fold patch of Rex Kwan Do" we can now start getting into the details. In this section I will give you two clips of my own game footage. These games were just a test for my video recording software for the TPG tournament, but after watching them I decided to make a video guide to being a Manguard because I am such an upstanding guy. Because I was not intending to use these for anything except a test there are voices from Vent that are not my own in the video. Pay not attention to the disembodies voices as not only are they not me they are not even playing Hawken... they are playing Titanfall. lol

Oh and also I do listen to music that loud all the time. Yes I know I can't hear enemies around me, but I don't care because I crush them WITH MY MANLINESS!

Also I want it noted that while I am using mini-flak on my Manguard I would recommend in the current patch that players use the SMC. The mini-flak is extremely unforgiving and in a lot of ways sub-par to the SMC (Sub Machine Cannon) at almost every range (mini-flak only has the advantage if you can see the whites of their eyes). Why is this_ The mini-flak overheats very quickly and has a huge range fall off issue so unless you are really good with the mini-flak positioning SMC is more realiable. In fact in a scrim or tourney match I use SMC not mini-flak (although I would rather use mini-flak because its super fun).

WHAT THE GAMES ON YOUTUBE IN 720p

GAME 1

Mistake 1 - So in this mistake if you watch the radar carfully you will see that my tech decided to run off and try to save someone who isn't on the AA (a dumb move by the tech, but my mistake was even dumber). I did not notice this and as a result ended up engaging in a 2v1 with an Incin Tech combo no less. As you can see I tried to kill the tech in the video reason being that after I started the engagement I knew that it was over so I tried to kill the lowest health target ASAP. Remeber EVEN IN THE FACE OF DEATH A MANGUARD STANDS FIRM AND TAKES EVERY ENEMY HE SEES WITH HIM!

Further elaboration on Mistake 1: The incin and the tech have a central position with the high ground if I were to try and run it would be out in the open. I could drop down, but then I lose any hope of getting back to the AA in time to help my team push. In this rare instance it is best for me to die, but it would have been better if I had just remained with my team and pushed with them instead of being too manly (a common mistake for me in pubs is being too manly as I like to test the boundaries).

Mistake 2 - In this situaion again I was not aware of my teams position and so I was out of position... BY A LOT. By the grace of the Hawken gods I was able to make it back to my team and I could have lived, but I did not drop down to stay safe I instead thought my team would turn on the guy pushing in and we could nuke him down before he killed me. I was wrong and it cost me. You will see later in the video that this scenario happens again and I drop down saving myself from the push. Remember #8!

Mistake 3 - Quite simply I am being too manly here. My goal is not necessarly to kill everyone there, but to keep them back enough so that my team can take up an advantagious position on the AA. Unfortunatly I stayed too long and I was unable to get back in time. If you are going to be that manly make sure you know when you have to leave. If I had left a half second earlier I would have lived and helped my team keep the AA. In all honesty I probably could have made it back if I hadn't sat under the AA healing while the Incin hit me, but I don't want you guys thinking that its ok to stay as long as I did. That is a mistake even if I would have lived because my opponents were missing me when I was out in the open.

Mistake 4 - I actually could have won that 5v2, but I don't play siege much so I tried to take full advantage of the AA forgetting that the enemy team spawns on the other half. I exposed myself on their spawn side which I should almost never do. You will see me do it throughout the video and most of the time its a judgement call based on my radar, but that time I wasn't even paying attention to that. I went into TDM and DM mode thinking that I can win with ease from that position and had the enemy not spawned behind me I would have. Point is positioning changes based on game mode so pay attention to where you are in relation to the enemy spawn. You will live a lot longer I promise.

Further elaboration - to win that 5v2 all I had to do was go back under the AA, pepper them with GL and mini flak while moving up to the top in order to gain the height advantage on the enemies coming in towards the AA since they were an Incinerator.

Game 2

Mistake 1 - On the surface this may seem like I was just being too manly trying to 2v1, but really what happened was I didn't pay attention to my radar and I went "all in" thinking my teammates from a second ago were right behind me (ppl tend to follow Manguards). So remember #5 THE BUDDY SYSTEM!

Mistake 2 - So as you can see I was super manly and assasinated that tech setting up my team for a really successful push into the enemy base repelling them from the AA. What was my mistake_ Again I was not aware of my surroundings and I did not notice the Scout comming up on my right side (left if facing where I killed the tech). This oversight combined with my eagerness to engage the guy coming out of the tunnel cost me dearly. If I had remained at the back of my team patiently getting healed then I would have lived to stop the counter push. My mistake was moving too quickly and not paying attention to my surroundings.

Mistake 3 - Can you guess what my mistake was here_ If you said being too manly then you are WRONG! Being manly did not get me killed here. What got me killed was once again NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO MY SURROUNDINGS. If I had payed attention then I would not have moved in for the kill I would have just beat him back with the heavy back hand of the Manguard's GL. Remember that where the enemy is and how many of their teammates are near you dicates whether you can go in for the kill. Being manly does NOT mean you should go in for the kill every time. It means playing aggressively with a clever ferocity.

Mistake 4 - Quite simply I was too manly here. I was watching my radar, I was aware of my surroundings, I even knew that someone was comming up behind me, but despite all of that I engaged multiple targets with only 199 health. That is a sure fire way to die.

Mistake 5 - If you watched the whole clip already you are proably thinking "what mistake_" since I lived through the engagement, but don't fool yourself. I won because of the other players incompetance not because of my superior skill (although that did play a factor). So if you watch closely you will see that I am admiring my mech #6 & #7 and I am not paying attention to my surroundings while healing. So I take a huge burst in the back. To win the fight I position myself below the raider making it much harder for him to hit me with a full shot of MIRV or T-32. I then TIME HIS COOLDOWNS. Yes thats right I timmed his cooldowns and baited him to fire twice. I lived because I knew when he was going to fire, but if he had made better life decisions and waited for my dodge or been manlier and came down to me he could have killed me with ease. Regardless point here is that I was not paying attention and it should have cost me a life. When confrunted with this situation do not panic just BE MANLY. I walked away because I was manlier than my opponent and thats all there is to it. He got scared and let me take control of the fight despite his clear advantage.

So by now you are probably wondering what my build is and all of that fuzzy bunny. Below I have detailed my build, but know that this can change based on patch notes so while this may be good now if there is a change that makes it obsolete later this build will be subpar. I will try to update it as needed, but I am a bit forgetful. Regardless the build only does so much being manly wins forever!

Items: MK-2 EMP and Health orbs because healing is awesome and nobody likes an EMP to the face.

Internals: 3 slot Advanced Armor Fusor, 2 slot 20% Deflectors, and 1 slot 1% Basic Fuel Converter.

Weapon of choice_ Up to you I would suggest SMC, but in the video's I am using mini-flak because I enjoy that weapon a lot.

Edited by Leonhardt, April 29 2014 - 08:04 AM.

Posted Image

#2 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted April 29 2014 - 08:12 AM

BEST.GUIDE.EVER!
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#3 MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 08:22 AM

its like the mech drunken falls over spilling its beer all over the enemy team, devestating every encounter i love that thing
i don't mean any of it

#4 shosca

shosca

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted April 29 2014 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image

#5 renynzea

renynzea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted April 29 2014 - 08:37 AM

This is totally deserving of a right guard commercial.

#6 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationIn The Uterus of Love

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:19 AM

What were you doing in that 9.5 seconds, where in that video you weren't mangaurdedly mangaurding like a man in a vangaurd down by the river, and more imortantly why.

#7 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postcraftydus, on April 29 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

What were you doing in that 9.5 seconds, where in that video you weren't mangaurdedly mangaurding like a man in a vangaurd down by the river, and more imortantly why.

No time stamp and video given = no answer

Posted Image

#8 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 10:08 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on April 29 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Thank your for you reply!

Edited by craftydus, April 29 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#9 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2014 - 10:19 AM

View Postcraftydus, on April 29 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

lol I actually know what you are talking about. Its at the beginning of video 2 where I drop down into the river at the beginning. I was hoping that the radar jammer that had just popped up on my radar was in one of the popular spots down below in the river. When I didn't find it I went around in the hopes of catching someone returning E.U. and the rest is pretty obvious.

Posted Image

#10 craftydus

craftydus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostLeonhardt, on April 29 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

View Postcraftydus, on April 29 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

lol I actually know what you are talking about. Its at the beginning of video 2 where I drop down into the river at the beginning. I was hoping that the radar jammer that had just popped up on my radar was in one of the popular spots down below in the river. When I didn't find it I went around in the hopes of catching someone returning E.U. and the rest is pretty obvious.

#11 Hocisern

Hocisern

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque NM

Posted April 29 2014 - 11:44 AM

Brilliant, as usual.

#12 EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationNahfeck, V'jainya

Posted April 29 2014 - 12:51 PM

Gotta luv dat Flyin' FatMan!
This gets "Best Read of the Day"

Lingua-indigenae  *=0=*  Clans & Guilds  *=||=*  Which Mech_  *=X=*  GPU Test  *=W=*  CPU Test  *=O=*  Dementia

Posted Image

#13 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 02:16 PM

thanks for the guide, it's great to see how the better players move.

but I need to know what band's playing throughout your videos >_<
thought it was satriani at first but then it went all galneryus-ish, sounds like it might be some thing like black mages but for kof.
bless me with your wisdom mighty aslan

#14 Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Rawr

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 29 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostMythril_Golem, on April 29 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

The music in the background of my videos are my choice selection from the Guilty Gear X2 (XX if you are from Japan) OST. Guilty Gear has been one of my favorite fighting game series of all time and it just so happened that on that day I was feeling like listening to that OST.

You can see/hear the songs that were in the video in my Grooveshark playlist linked here ---> http://grooveshark.c...ear X2/97420833

Edited by Leonhardt, April 29 2014 - 02:58 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Mythril_Golem

Mythril_Golem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted April 29 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostLeonhardt, on April 29 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

View PostMythril_Golem, on April 29 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

The music in the background of my videos are my choice selection from the Guilty Gear X2 (XX if you are from Japan) OST. Guilty Gear has been one of my favorite fighting game series of all time and it just so happened that on that day I was feeling like listening to that OST.

You can see/hear the songs that were in the video in my Grooveshark playlist linked here ---> http://grooveshark.c...ear X2/97420833
cheers,
has to be kof for me, hit me earlier in life than gg and no character comes close to yamazaki and his stupid hands-in-pockets fighting style :)
don't want to derail this so:
manguard vanguard canguard

#16 Hijinks_The_Turtle

Hijinks_The_Turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • LocationTurtles be turtlin'

Posted April 29 2014 - 04:17 PM

Become a man.  A manly man.  A Manguard.  Join today. #S9gotznobeard

Edited by Hijinks_The_Turtle, April 29 2014 - 04:18 PM.

#17 pseulak

pseulak

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted May 12 2014 - 06:25 AM

Weapon of choice_ Up to you I would suggest SMC, but in the video's I am using mini-flak because I enjoy that weapon a lot.

I think you need to edit this.

Manguards only use MiniFlak. SMC lacks the necessary pimpslap style. Would a bald eagle use the SMC_ I don't think so.

It is the most sporting option as well. Since it requires at least 3-4 other makes to take down a Manguard, it is only good sportsmanship to be overheated for at least half the battle to give your attackers the illusion of winning.

When people ask me what primary I am using, the only appropriate response is, "The only primary."

#18 Van_Tuz

Van_Tuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationRussian federation

Posted May 15 2014 - 09:27 AM

THAT'S NOT A GUIDE FOR A MANGUARD!
Where's the vulcan, where's the turret mode_!
MAN does not evade punches. MAN breaks enemy's fist with his face! If you even think about dodging like a whimpy scout then you're not manly enough to be a Manguard.
The vulcan is the best choice for a MAN! Something with a "mini" in its name is not manly enough.

ЗюЫю Good guide for a vanguard though.
I live only to serve

#19 Sadistic_Dentist

Sadistic_Dentist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationPoland/Polska

Posted May 16 2014 - 04:07 AM

Good guide. Very good, but one major mistake: it's vanguard, not manguard :-)
WoT: P2W, NEVER MOOOOREEEE!!!
WT: Nice game, tanks finally implemented!
MWO: P2W, movement is fuzzybunnied up
HAWKEN: Great game, but crashes sometimes

#20 ValkMight

ValkMight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSG

Posted May 17 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostSadistic_Dentist, on May 16 2014 - 04:07 AM, said:

Good guide. Very good, but one major mistake: it's vanguard, not manguard :-)

No no no.
Definitely spelt
MAN guard.
Need more HC!!!
So darn broke :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users